Announcing the continuation of the Portland Linux Users Group
Advanced Topic Meetings.

*********** Sponsored  by MandrakeSoft *******************

The Second Talk is
 Jay Beale of the Bastille Linux

Introduction (from their web page):

  The Bastille Hardening System attempts to "harden"
  or "tighten" the Linux operating system. It currently
  supports Red Hat and Mandrake systems. We attempt to
  provide the most secure, yet usable, system possible. The
  project is run by Jon Lasser, Lead Coordinator and
  Jay Beale, Lead Developer and involves a number of
  developers, beta-testers and concept-creators. Bastille
  Linux was developed with several major goals:

Now as this is the "Advanced Topic" meeting we want to avoid
questions like "What does Bastille do," and focus on
"Why does Bastille do this," or "Why Doesn't Bastille do
this," or "What were you thinking!" or, if you are Karl,
"Debian! Uh, what was the question?"

Now Jay will be coming off the heels of his Slashdot
interview, so please read it first, then think up the
really hard questions.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/10/30/1839209&mode=thread

http://www.bastille-linux.org

Advanced Topic Meetings are held on the third Wednesdays
at 7:30 pm in the conference room at Club Sport in Tigard.
Directions are below.

The advanced topic meeting has been a dream of Zot O'Connor
and David Mandel's for quite a while.  The purpose is to
have a meeting where we can dive deep into the details of
a topic, without covering the basics.

So the rules:

1)  The speaker has 15 minutes free.  No abusing the
speaker for 15 minutes.  After that, its a free for all.

2)  There are stupid questions.  The speaker (and the
group) can deem a question too basic for the topic, too
off-topic, or just dumb.  This may seem rude, but the idea
is to stay deep into the topic.  For instance, given a talk
on Cryptography, it can be expected that the room knows
all about public/private key pairs.  The speaker should
list topics you are expected to know before arriving.

3)  There should be a lot of questions and feedback from
the audience.

4)  Everyone, including the speaker should feel like the
topic is over their head.

5)  All are invited, but be sure to know the talk is aimed
at experts/advanced Linux persons (or those that *think*
their experts).

PLUG would like to thank MandrakeSoft for sponsoring
these talks.  MandrakeSoft has agreed to fly Jay out to us!

The Place:

  Club Sport is located at 18120 S.W. Lower Boones Ferry in
  Tigard.  This used to be a Costco, and was Sports Nation.
  When you enter, go up the stairs to the Restaurant and
  continue through the restaurant towards the left back and
  look for the conference room.  It is near the bathrooms.

  The room is scheduled 7:30 - 10:00pm.  The restaurant
  will server you food and beer.  Get there early to order
  off the menu, and bring the food inside.  We may have
  the room early depending on the week.  There is service
  during the meeting.

Directions:

Mapquest:
http://www.mapquest.com/cgi-bin/share?s1ca09un55xehnlk

>From Downtown/Hillsboro.
  Take I5 South.  2 Exits south of the 217 interchange,
  take 'Boones Ferry/Durham Road' Exit.  There is a Borders
  Book store at the exit.  Head west from the exit, but get
  to the left turn lanes immediately.  You will turn left
  onto Lower Boones Ferry (note of confusion here, the road
  that goes under the interstate is 'Boones Ferry' until
  this light.  Across the light it becomes Durham Road.
  If you see REI, you went too far).

>From Gresham/South:
  Take 205 S to I5, head I5 north, Go 2 exits to the
  'Boones Ferry/Durham Rd/Lake Oswego Exit.'  Turn left
  at the end of the ramp, go under the bridge/I5 in the
  center lane.  Turn left at the 2nd light.  The first
  light will put back on I5 South.  The left hand turn
  lanes are tricky to get to.

Lower Boones Ferry:
  The road follows I5 for a few blocks past the transit
  station and then bends Right.  After the trailer park,
  and across from the Schnieder Trucks (Big Orange Cabs)
  is a large red sign with the C from Club Sport lit up.
  Turn left into the parking lot.  Goto the front entrance
  of the Building.

Bus:
  There is a major Park and Ride at the corner of I5
  and Boones Ferry.  There is probably lots of buses
  that go there, but coming back may be more difficult.
  I recommend you post to the list and secure a ride back
  to downtown to more active bus routes after 10:00pm

--
Zot O'Connor

http://www.ZotConsulting.com
http://www.WhiteKnightHackers.com