It's called intuitively.  You can get it on freshmeat.net.  I tried it and haven't had
success with it.  Although it is a simple program.  It sends fake arp's to figure out
what network it's on.  Then configures your laptop based on the network you've
specified.  You can also have it run a script.

Basically what it's doing is sending a an address resolution protocol request (arp)
saying, who has this ip address: x.x.x.x.  A computer will answer saying, I do, my
hardware addess is xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx.  However, it doesn't seem to work on my cable
modem.  I was watching my network, while running intuitively and I saw it display:
who has 24.176.53.1 tell 0.0.0.0
who has 10.72.197.1 tell 0.0.0.0

The first ip's I know are on my local network ;).  Intuitively is putting in the
0.0.0.0.  However, intuitively reports it received no answer.

The other program is called divine.  The guy who wrote intuitively says he used code
from divine.

Cory