Hal

If your panel is still there you can get your footprint back by right clicking
on the panel.  Click "panel", click "Add to panel",click"menu" you can also add
a drawer.  If your panel isn't there bring up an xterm and do as Jamie said
type"panel".  If that doesn't work do what you'd do in windows reinstall gnome.
I wonder if there is a configuration file for somewhere for GNOME that you can
back it up.

I hope one our suggestions works.

Tim