Plan 9 is actually a great OS to play with, and on the surface it looks very much like
UNIX. It follows the original concept of UNIX, which is small, independent, single
purpose modules/files. Modularizing effectively lets you more easily distribute
processes across multiple physical machines seamlessly. Unfortunately, the trend today
in UNIX and Linux is to create all-purpose apps and servers.

Good references are W Richard Steven's UNIX network programming, Plan 9, and QNX,
which I have been using a lot lately, and is remarkably polished for being "beta".
http://www.qnxstart.com is a good site to learn about QNX at (which is now a free
download from http://get.qnx.com. QNX also has some wicked examples of this  concept.
I remember hearing about a demo of a QNX cluster, where someone was playing doom in a
window on the screen, and they moved the window half off the display, and sent the
other half of the window to another physical machine and continued playing, seamlessly.

jakob