The real question is, where is the webcam?  Hooked to the linux box?
Hooked to a windows box?  Etc?

Linux: try freshmeat, search for webcam. Lots of software...
Windows: try homewatcher (free/share) or pjwebcam (free)
I've got homewatcher ftping stuff to an apache/linux box just fine.
Mostly cause I haven't set up the webcam under linux yet (no usb on the
linux box where I want the webcam)

Seth