If you want to change a string to a number, first make sure there are
only the characters 0-9 in the string. What I always do is simply
multiplying the string by 1.

var c = '1234';
d = c * 1;

Since multiplying assumes numbers, JavaScript makes the string a
number, if possible. If that isn't possible, the result is NaN.

-Rob