On Thu, 4 Jul 2002, Dexter Graphic wrote:

> > What do you have in /lost+found?  Maybe a kernel?
>
> Nothing, to my surprise! I know that fsck said it was going to save
> lost fragments to this location. It asked repeatedly because there
> were multiple lost fragments found. But when I just checked it the
> folder was empty. Hmm???
MAYBE you have different partitions, each of them having their own
lost+found (you'll get that even on a floppy if you make an ext2 there.

> > > Is there some way to do a surface scan of the hard disk under
> > > GNU/Linux?
> >
> >     dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null
>
> I just ran this and its doing nothing but making my hard drive light
> blink. I looked at "man dd" but it says nothing about a surface scan.
> So what is the above command actually doing?
It reads a block of default size into the bit bucket (/dev/null)
For default blocksize look  in manual for:
"""
   bs=BYTES
   force ibs=BYTES and obs=BYTES
"""
You can speed things up by using larger blocks:
"""    BLOCKS  and  BYTES may be followed by the following multi-
       plicative suffixes: xM M, c 1, w 2,  b  512,  kD  1000,  k
       1024,  MD  1,000,000,  M  1,048,576,  GD  1,000,000,000, G
       1,073,741,824, and so on for T, P, E, Z, Y.
"""
dd is a powerfull command:
 dd  if=/dev/fd0  of=someName.dd
saves an entire floppy to a file; including boot sector, even from another
OS.
 dd  if=someName.dd  of=/dev/fd0
writes it back to floppy. Adjust options to your needs ..... Horst