Right on, (K)Bob!  Good answer.  I think this is the thread that TimH
meant to reply to... however you are correct:  they must open *some*
port if a high port were to work, as Tim suggested.
The "less correct" solution of using outgoing (from them) ssh
connections is an interesting one...  maybe a cron job could be set up,
to carefully re-connect to your own system during your normal work
hours, if the connection is dropped, too.

There was a reference to some interesting tidbits on slashdot Monday:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/11/18/2032225&mode=thread&tid=172

mostly about some neat new tools called "Paketto":
http://www.doxpara.com/read.php/docs/pk_english.html

PDF about pushing OpenSSH to the limits:
http://www.doxpara.com/Advanced_OpenSSH.pdf

latest PPT slides::
http://www.doxpara.com/Black_Ops_Hivercon.ppt

Oh, sorry to get a bit off-topic... SSH is cool, I am wondering though
if it'd be worth it to hack up some other sort of trigger system to
start that outgoing connection to yourself... It'd be a pain.
Can you get anything through to them, like a ping?  Other non-data
packets, hummmm?

benb

--
Ben Barrett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>