I'd be willing to do it for free as I am a disabled veteran and cannot receive money. I don't know how long it would take me though I am sure I could finish it in a few days. I don't have a car though.

I have installed Mandrake before and I actually have a BSD system up and running text only configured for efn. I could probably copy settings from that. This would be a valuable learning experience for me.

Dexter Graphic wrote:
Since this topic keeps coming up as an unresolved issue on the list I will address it here explicitly and openly with the hope that we will be able to solve it once and for all.

Here are the facts:

Dan does not want to use a graphical user interface (GUI) to relate to his computer (that means no windows, icons, mice, or pointers). He has a philosophical/political preference for free (as in speech) software and would rather not continue
using Windows 95 and its lame Internet Mail program with no spell checking.
It has been demonstrated at recent EUGLUG meetings that a text-based mail system is possible with GNU/Linux. Dan actually has the software on his computer (Debian 3.0). The problem which remains is figuring out how to configure and use it. (Dan's computer, by the way, is a desktop Pentium 133, with 32MB of ram, a Matrox SVGA card, a CD ROM that is not bootable from the BIOS, and a hard disk that's at least
2GB in capacity.)

For some reason Dan is unwilling to spend the necessary time and effort to read the instructions and figure it out for himself. For some reason no on else from EUGLUG is willing to do this for him for free (as in beer).
So here is my proposal:
If Dan pays me at a rate of $10 an hour, I will figure it out and get a text-based mail system working on his system. That includes setting up PPP, fetchmail, sendmail, procmail,
mutt, emacs, and aspell. Since I know very little about any of these programs, I figure it will take me at least 25 hours and possibly as many as 50 to get Dan's mail system
working. This means it would cost Dan $250 to $500 to solve
his problem.

If anyone else with more expertise than me is willing to do
it for less, then please submit your own proposals.

Dexter Graphic -- Always trying to present things clearly.

     ^   ^
    (*) (*)
 <=  \   /  =>
      o o