Tim,

I'd use Imagemagick to convert the big pictures so an appropriate sized
thumbnail picture.

Ralph

Something like this (which also converts the files to gif):
---
#!/bin/bash
for i in myBigPictures/*.jpg
  do
    f="`basename $i`"
    f=${f%.jpg}
    convert -resize 140x140 -colors 16 myBigPictures/$f.jpg myThumbs/$f.gif;
done