Python's great.  It starts slower than many small unix programs but the
code is very readable.  The wxPython library is a nice gui, there are
several ways to do gui development with wxPython--boa, pythoncard, wxGlade,
or vim!

The scripts are fairly fast and responsive; it's not that hard to create
programs that are comparable to c++ in speed.  Best of all, there is no
effort to compiling, linking, etc.  Most developers using python rely on
only the "print" command and builtin traceback info for debugging.

I like wxPython because the code is very windows/linux portable.  I like
boa because you can use it to quickly create gui forms, menus, toolbars,
and grids that work.  You can add your own code, and drag it all back
into boa to change the gui stuff.