I'm wondering if the URl in the call is incomplete.

As in it might need to be a complete URL rather than just the path,

Actually this seems not to be the case,

getStaticMedia seems to be a call that is defined on npr.org's web script

http://www.npr.org/include/javascript/jsfuncs.js

has the definition,

you can reverse engineer the url's it produces

There is nothing wrong with your computer, you are just attempting to run a part of a program standalone
that is missing a dependency.