On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 08:46, Ben Barrett wrote:
> And I presume that if one doesn't trust SSH, and was using, say vtun or
> ipsec, that one would remove the SSH bits you added and treat it as
> though it is a local, unencrypted rsync?

Yeah, I mean the rotation framework is there, and the command itself is
defined by a variable. So with a little tweaking, you may use your
weapon of choice.

>   I mention this specifically
> because I am wary of host-based authentication, especially on a remote
> server (by the same principle that I keep my keys nearby)... and most
> large organizations have some sort of VPN already (not ssh), anyway.

You can't be too careful!

> You are spot-on in saying that rsync is the right tool for the job!
> Thanks for the tasty bits, keep 'em coming  = )

Thank you! Just for your information, Dan Young on the Plug list pointed
to "rdiff" for synchronizing filesystems while at the same time
preserving incrementals. Have a look:

http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu

-Cooper