Dirk, if you want it to be in user environments system-wide, you can add
it into your /etc/profile if this is the redhat system.  It won't affect
any existing/open terminal shells, until you run 'source' as Cory
suggests... in fact, I'm curious about whether a users gets /etc/profile
settings at login time, or whenever a shell is launched.  Any redhat
trainers reading this?

regards,

   Ben

PS - you can put it whereever you want, of course, like ~/.bash_aliases
or whatnot, then refer to it appropriately...  = )