PhpWiki is pretty basic: it can be configured to allow anyone,
anonymously, to edit [any] pages, or it can require that people
actually *claim* an identity to edit [any] pages, or it can require a
password match to edit [any] pages.  Most wiki's use a single namespace,
and thusly it makes no sense to have different permissions for
particular pages within a wiki... though some wiki's try this by varying
means.  If you want something more beefy/robust, check out twiki at
twiki.org.  It has multiple namespaces (ie, multiple wiki's, but in the
same cross-linkable system:  think billing/shipping/development or for
personal use friends/family/private or whatever you like) and offers
full ACL's, basically, if you want it.  Note that web "passwords" are
generally plaintext, unless you use SSL, so most passwords are not truly
secret to any serious degree.  If you come across other good options,
let us all know!

regards,

   Ben

...(apple cider)....