Oops, I didn't notice the 802.11g-orientation of this question.
However, slashdot readers will have noticed a headline this evening
which highlights a thing called DriverLoader from LinuxAnt:

http://www.linuxant.com/company/press_dldr.php

which now handles Centrino drivers (much to Intel's dismay?); it is a
general system for loading windows wifi drivers under Linux...
and their compatibility page...
http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/compatibility.php

led me to:
http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html

which I've seen before -- it is a great long list, showing exactly how
spare linux support is amongst wifi products.  This can only get better,
but it is quite a waiting game (unless you code!).

The DriverLoader commercial product can load some 802.11g (and a, and
a+g) drivers for otherwise-unsupported hardware, or so it claims.
They offer a 30-day free trial, but I cannot see the list price without
making an account, bah.

Hope this helps!  I think if I had a laptop with embedded .11g or a+g,
I'd buy this -- IF there were reason to need .11a or .11g, when .11b
suffices, or if I couldn't use the .11b bits without full driver support
(ie, no other way to get any wifi)...

regards,

   Ben

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Hardware-HOWTO.html