I've nearly derailed in the past, by such proliferation, but only when I
tried to use both Ximian's tree and Apt-rpm's... I had to choose one or
the other to get my main system updates, primarily because Ximian does
indeed release their own package tree -- in my case, most of my Gnome
binaries got replaced by .ximian-named packages.  Apt-rpm and up2dat
have played fine together, in my experience... since apt-rpm uses the
same (well days older) trees; although they do have some other branches
that are cooler, but those don't cause conflict with up2date since
up2date doesn't know anything about a quake3 or multi-gnome-terminal
binary RPM!!

Regards,

   Ben

PS - I know what you're saying about the lack of warm fuzzies, though.
I was just discussing the eventual migration of our linux workstations
to debian, at work...