So... I spent a week trying to get a pcmcia nic working in XP. it wasnt ever
going to work... I spent a few hours, and installed win98, and Slackware, and
both work fine (although everything but the sound worked right out of the box
in slack, windows 98 required downloading several drivers, and am now
spending a couple hours of updating windows). All in all, id say XP didnt
offer anything helpful, and didnt work with a critical peiced of hardware.
Slackware was by far the easiest to install on this laptop.

...very few phenomena can pull someone out of Deep Hack Mode, with two
noted exceptions: being struck by lightning, or worse, your *computer*
being struck by lightning.
        -- Matt Welsh