So, I have a couple weird problems, both unrelated... I have avi files that
will not open under windows media player. This is really perplexing as avi's
are basicly a much of .bmp's and wav file. Both .bmp and .wav are windows
file formats, so I would assume any avi should play on any windows machine.

File says:
RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI
But mplayer plays them fine, but windows media player wont. all it does is try
to find the codec (says looking up codec server), then fails, then plays
audio only.

The other multimedia related issue... I have an avi file, plays fine on one
linux computer. I ftp it to another computer (using gftp, binary transfer,
passive mode). On the other computer it will not play! File outputs the same
info on both computers. i ftp the file back to the original computer (same
gftp and settings). the file back on the original computer (but not the same
file, the original file is long gone by now...) will not play either, mplayer
says something about no video... and rtc problem).
As a side note, I noticed that file date was a day in advance after the first
ftp, and checking both machines showed the correct date.

What programs do you use for ftp? For the longest time, gftp was the only gui
ftp client I could find. Now Ive found kbear, I tried it a couple weeks ago,
and it seemed ok... I think I'll put it on one of my boxen and try it out
again...
I was quite surprised to boot up knoppix and find no gui ftp client (man that
knoppix has everything.... except a gui ftp client!).

oh yeah..one more thing....
Happy Hollidays :)

panic("Foooooooood fight!");
        -- In the kernel source aha1542.c, after detecting a bad segment list