unavoidable but the original warning (**) did not mention web outage:

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 23:51:13 -0800 (PST)
Planned Maintenance While EFN Moves Equipment

On Sunday, January 25th, EFN system administrators will be moving
some of our equipment out of our old machine room.  Work will start
about 06:00 and will continue until we have the moved equipment up
and running at its new location.  We hope to have things running by
noon.  During the outage EFN hosted services like email will not be
available; dialup Internet service and DSL should continue to be
available.
Due to the changes in our service infrastructure this move will require,
EFN dialup shell service will be unavailable for some time after
the move is completed.  While it is our intention to restore
dialup shell when we can, we will not have the capability to deliver
it, and we do not know when we will be able to do it again.
We apologize for any inconvenience, and we thank you for
supporting community networking!