"hop-hog" cards are the best, like the early lucent wifi cards.
Partly branding, but also simply a good product.

Bob, you might be interested in the offerings of
http://www.linuxmedialabs.com/
In case you have multiple tuners or external sources, they make some
reasonably-priced 4-input cards too  ( =

I think tldp/linuxdoc has a good rundown in their hardware howto or other
docs, which list a number of compatible cards.  Also, various particular
software (like mythtv, which spearheaded the development of support for the
wintv pvr-250 and -350 models under linux AFAIK) will list supported
hardware of course.

For the record, I've been using a program called "xawdecode" (or xawdecode2)
which is much better than xawtv, but very similar of course.

Anyone else making modern use of Athena Widgets out there ??  = )

regards all,

   Ben

If you're not looking for a tuner but just video-in, you have a lot more
options availabel to you, as numerous video cards now have that capability
and might already be supported.  I know the ATI AIW (all in wonder) series
has had support for linux for a long time now, although I have yet to get my
hands on one of those.  I hear really good things about their RF remote!
Some new nvidia cards have video in as well, now...