Anybody out there familiar with NIS running on a Solaris system? I been getting a bunch of error messages in the system log file that are all similar to the following. There are only about 10 different hosts/IP addresses in maybe 200 of these errors over the last 2 weeks.

Mar 4 15:19:15 XXXXX1 rpc.nisd_resolv[146]: [ID 601014 daemon.error] nres_gethostbyaddr: unknown.Level3.net != 63.215.198.X

Searching through google I see a bunch of posts indicating that this was a bug back in SunOS 4.1 that was fixed either with a patch or by upgrading to 4.1.2. (Link 1). These posts seem to indicate the bug resulted in this message being issued even though the IP address listed was actually the correct IP address for the system. In my case the IP address listed in the error is NOT the correct IP address for the system. My question is where are these incorrect IP addresses coming from? This particular host shows up a number of times with a several completely different IP addresses. Is this the result of NIS trying to do a reverse lookup on a host that is connected to the net with some sort of load balancing software?

These messages only seem to be appearing on the NIS Master and the NIS Slaves. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Garl

Link 1: http://ftp.rutgers.edu/pub/sun-patches/100141.readme