On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 03:49:00PM -0800, Rob Hudson wrote:
> I was going to go for a stage3 install just to try it out.  But that
> leads me to another question... instead of syncing and having to compile
> all kinds of stuff as the install gets old, can I just grab the new
> stage3 packages, say, when 2004.1 comes out and untar it?  Would that
> function like an easy upgrade or no?
I looked for binary gentoo packages, but never found them.  Apparently they are
on the live cd, but not on obvious intenet servers.

> I basically want to surf the web and ssh to my workstation.  I doubt
> I'll even keep personal files on there so come upgrade time, I could
> even scrap the whole thing if need be.
Ah, but you'll find other needs.  tcpdump, traceroute, strace, gaim, this and
that wasn't installed.  Ooh, new version of whatever....

Let's see, nothing on the system, no cdrom drive, no floppy drive only a pcmcia
port.  You aren't getting anything on that system unless the bios can boot off
of pcmcia/usb.  Alternatively, why don't you take out the mini-ide drive, get a
mini-ide to ide converter and copy debian on it.  If you have a running debian
system, you can just copy it, run lilo and you are good to go.

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek                                       Adapting Information
Adaptable IT Consulting                                Technology to Your