Bigger,
> stronger, and hungrier has always justified expansion.  That's called
> evolution.  In contemporary terms, we call it capitalism.  Just because
we're
> bombing foreign cultures with McDonalds, not bombs, doesn't mean that
it's
> not really still Lebensraum.
> Don't expect humans to change their culture overnight, just because
they're
> threatened with a decline in the Earth's environment, the loss of various
> species, etc.  You have got to make it personal:  until each one of us is
> literally choking in our own filth, it will always just be easier to pass
the
> buck, expand somewhere else, move to greener pastures, etc.
> Bruce Moomaw would suggest that our global society may be at the boiling
> point now, that we are at constant and increasing danger of mass
population
> die-offs, via war, plague, or what-have-you.
> However, perhaps this is a sort of unconscious species survival
mechanism?
> That is, in the absence of sufficient lebensraum, we've got to reduce our
> impact, or our numbers... these are not issues for timid minds to
contemplate.

> -- JHB

I would happily reduce our numbers, but millions of people would have some
moral issues about it.

--- <chooser-of-tactics>
--- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge:
 it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively
 assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science." --
Charles Darwin