Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 11:34:07 -0700
From: "Robert R. Howell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IJW Newsletter -- 2001 #3
To: IJW Satellite List: ;

IJW Satellite Newsletter -- 2001 # 3

Two items of recent news (well at least one news, and one the lack thereof):

Here is a message from John Spencer regarding recent Galileo and Cassini
observations of Io:

Galileo images during the "G29" Io flyby on December 30
2000 show a new large (Pele-sized) pyroclastic deposit
around Tvashtar, presumably related to the bright infrared
event reported by Franck Marchis et al. on December 16th.
In addition, the Cassini spacecraft saw a large plume over
Tvashtar during its late December / early January Jupiter
flyby.  This is faintly visible in emission as a "topknot"
in the Cassini movie of Io in eclipse available at

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/jupiterflyby/gallery/gl_pages/pia02882.html

There have not been any further reports of observations of the outburst
initially detected by Imke de Pater and coworkers on Feb. 22 and described
in the last newsletter.  (I'm calling this event 0102A.)  If you did get
further observations, please let me know.