In a message dated 4/4/2001 7:35:24 AM Alaskan Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

To me, the real question regarding alternative energy production systems is
whether any of them might produce a molecule of oxygen as waste, as
photosynthesis does.  You get free O2 in the water, you've got the
possibility of large, robust organisms not unlike ourselves.  Any other
energy system--while leading to interesting life, no question--is likely to
remain 100 % microbial, precluding bug-eyed mosterns in the Europan seas.

It disturbs me that the leading thinking is still that O2 is still thought to
be the only precursor to large life.  I well remember how shocked everyone
was, when Archaea was discovered... 'non-photosynthetic life?  Impossible!'.
Remember, that any Europan life forms have possibly had longer than 3 billion
years of uninterrupted development.  That's a lot of time to 'get it right'
and come up with something workable, even in the absence of terrestial
goodies.

-- John Harlow Byrne