Please read this for further edification on the subject:

http://www.aeiveos.com/~bradbury/MatrioshkaBrains/index.html

Larry

----- Original Message -----
From: "Reeve, Jack W." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 10:21 PM
Subject: RE: Two new online articles about SETI from S&T

Hello Gail and Roberta,

A couple of my thoughts which you may find worthy of a peek.

As a "technical civilization", we Earthlings are utter newborns.  Consider:
we have been capable of talking across the void (radio) for about a hundred
years.  This represents a miniscule portion of Earth's life presence; 100/+-
2, 000, 000, 000.

If a civilization has technology, it is unlikely that we'll find them at the
very time where their capability winks into existence.  Instead, we are
likely to find them well along down the technology road.

Ergo, the probability is that any technologically advanced race in the
heavens would, in all probability, be perhaps 100's of thousands or, more
likely, millions of years into technology.

A big part of any technology is the movement knowledge; communication.  A
civilization on this scale would likely be moving a lot of information
around over significant distances, spanning their empire.  It should give
off a pretty significant glow, over a fairly wide spectrum.

One point though.  Sending information around by spherical or radial
transmission is not particularly efficient.  In truth, transmitting
outwardly in the shape of a ball is the best possible way to cause a signal
to weaken as quickly as possible.  It is reasonable to assume that a good
part of an advanced civilization's long distance transmission technology
would be aimed.  Why light up the entire sky just to illuminate a few
selected points?  As a result, I think there is a good chance that we will
see these occasional flashes as we pass through these concentrated beams of
communication.

I am a bit troubled by the possibility that these advanced technical
civilizations may be transmitting their communiqués in media with which we
are utterly unaware.  It may be that they are sending out our equivalent of
radio, and we are listening in our equivalent of sound waves.  Ships in the
night, if you will.

Regards,

Jack