Well, at the risk of being considered a "bottom line" man, here's my
read on the space station fiasco.  In the early 1970s, Nixon wanted
the space shuttle because they thought it would be a great way to
launch err, spy satellites.  So, we got it.  Now, we have the space
station to give the shuttles someplace to go when they're not
launching satellites, fixing telescopes, bore-bore-bore, etc.  The
science is marginal at best, contrived at worst.  This would be a
great area for congress and NASA to cut costs.  It's an expensive
albatross, if there ever was one.

Geez,
Gary