From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:owner-europa@;klx.com]On Behalf Of Robert
J. Bradbury
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2002 1:46 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: No power sources available

Robert,

> If I understand this correctly, lithium makes lithium hydroxide and
hydrogen
> after being exposed to water. Could there be a chemical way to revitalize
> this process without adding tons of materials? Is anyone on this list a
> chemical engineer?

Generally speaking in chemistry you are going to require quantities
of materials approx. equivalent in mass to whatever you are reacting
with.  Since we are probably talking about tons of ice, we are also
talking about tons of reactants.  There is the additional problem
of getting the reactants to where you want them to react.  That's
pretty difficult with solid alkali metals with melting points of
hundreds of degrees C.  You have to consider that liquid sodium/potassium
has commonly been considered as a coolant for nuclear reactors.  The
engineering to keep it under control *isn't* trivial.

In fact there is some evidence that one of the nuclear reactors the
Russians put up has leaked its coolant into its orbit and there
are now solid drops of sodium/potassium orbiting the planet.

Robert