Add one more: I coined this a number of years ago out of my personal experience: "The Analyst's Motto: There is nothing so simple that it cannot be made complicated with a little effort."
Watch the skies!
Gail

-------Original Message-------

Date: Monday, November 04, 2002 10:37:05 AM
Subject: Re: Project Status

Well put.

Here are the rules for life - as I have them:

"You can't cross a chasm in two small jumps." - Eli Callaway

"Nothing is impossible - just damned difficult." - Joe Latrell

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you will land among the stars."
- Les Brown

Lets say we build a ice munching, rock dodging, in your face submarine.

Joe Latrell

On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 10:49, Gail Leatherwood wrote:
> In the beginning, John Byrne proposed a new project, called fancifully "A
> Wild Idea." And the idea was without form (well, almost) and void, and
> confusion covered the face of the group. In time, a few glimmers of light
> appeared in the firmament of the heavens, but most were quickly extinguished
> as illogical, impractical, unworkable, or just plain silly. A few hardy
> souls (probably incurable romantics) clamored for continuation in spite of
> the reasoned arguments that "It can't be done," but it appears that this
> project is, as some wag suggested many years ago in a land far, far away,
> Stick a fork in it, it's done!"
> Ah, but as a good friend and colleague of mine once said frequently, "Not so
> fast--not so fast!"
> This particular project, a self contained, self propelled ice penetrator
> built from off the shelf parts by non-technical persons, may be dead, but
> there is a serendipity here:
> 1. We have an organization started where none existed before.
> 2. We have a data base started with info on specific talents.
> 3. We have a mechanism for a bank account if we decide to go with
> another project.
> 4. There has been more interest exhibited by not only long-time
> contributors, but several new and very enthusiastic participants.
> 5. There may be an opportunity for a commercial application with a
> potential funding source if anyone dares to try to build a
> prototype.
> It may well be that the only thing that will work on Europa will be a
> sophisticated, highly engineered, multimillion dollar cryobot delivered by
> NASA's best, but perhaps we could, in our own small way, have some fun just
> building a model and seeing what works.
> And the Great God Jupiter looked out upon his children and observed "Still
> untouched by human hands," and concluded that it was good and he could go
> back to sleep.
> Gail

==
You are subscribed to the Europa Icepick mailing list: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

.