For the terrestrial model, at 8 inches for 500 feet, my friend and I
have calculated that we need 522,000 BTUs (give or take a few thousand)
to melt through.

The math used:

        8" diameter craft (50.25 sq inches)
        500' depth (6000 linear inches)

        total ice volume = (50.24*6000 or 301,440 cubic inches)

        total ice volume in gallons = (301,440/231 or 1,305 gallons)

        total weight = (8*1,305 or 10,440 lbs)

Assuming a 50 degree (F) shift in temperature, this is close to 522,000
BTUs aka the amount of energy to raise 1 pound of water 1 degree (F).
This is roughly 153,080 watts of power. Can someone check this math?

I know it is over simplified, but hey it is a start.

Now all we need is to figure out how much energy this is in terms of
batteries.

BTW, for the Europa craft, we figure something like 1.5 Billion BTU's
assuming a 100 degree shift in temperature.  This really needs further
study!!

Joe Latrell