The spiral patterns in the Martian caps explained (maybe):

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/mars-water-science-04b.html

Everyone here is probably sick of being off-topic about Martian water, and
if not, I'm sure you're sick of my stinking opinions.  (What?  You're not?
Well, what's *wrong* with you then? ;-)

However, the above finding is somewhat further to a point I made earlier,
about mineral processes that look biological and biological processes that
look mineral.  Pelletier was looking outside his field - at how slime molds
can form spiral patterns - and lifted modeling techniques almost directly
from that field of biology to produce a nonbiological explanation for
something peculiar, conspicuous and intriguing.  The spiral patterns in the
Martian polar caps could be explained by ancient alien civilizations who
decided to signal to possible other emerging intelligences in the solar
system by macro-engineering/areoforming two of Mars' more visible
large-scale features.  Or one could leap to the conclusion that, since only
life seems to be able to make these kinds of spirals and maintain them, the
spirals are somehow evidence of much larger scale biological processes.  It
took a geologist to abstract away the governing equations from biology at
far smaller scales and to make a much neater Occam's Razor incision: ice
spiral formation can be driven by phase changes plus planetary rotation
minus thick atmosphere.

Water oceans on Mars still aren't life - there are recent results in
studying Earth's ancient oceans pointing to a dearth of oxygen, for example,
and Martian oceans might not have been around long enough to acquire any.
(Or, through some chemical processes we don't know about, they might have
had much more oxygen - who knows?  Or they may have been a pretty decent
environment for anaerobic life of some kind.)  The point is: we don't know
that much yet.  And preconceptions can get in the way of finding out what we
need to know.  Going looking for marine fossils may be premature, and may
waste valuable time and energy, if in fact the recent evidence is not of
water, but of liquid CO2.

So I'm still holding out for a possible CO2 sea/ocean/lake as an explanation
for features that we, on our water planet, associate only with bodies of
water.  That doesn't mean that there haven't *also* been bodies of water on
Mars, just that it doesn't look like the case is closed yet.  Unless I've
missed something.

-michael turner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]