> Interestingly, (from a standpoint of trying to avoid the waste of
> fuel-eating trajectory corrections) GS orbits need not be circular.
> Even with a circular orbit, it still appears doable via a Hohmann
> transfer.

If you meant "equatorial period of exactly one day," then OK.
I was wrong to imply that Earth can't be used for slingshot trajectories,
since we get probe flybys of Earth for precisely this purpose.  However,
starting from Earth's inertial framework ... I have trouble seeing any
slingshot potential except for using the Moon.

> Equatorial mountain candidates for drilling the gun boreholes include
> Chimborazo in Ecuador at 20,700, Kenya's Mt Kenya at 17000 + and another
> in Sumatra at 12400 +.

12,000 feet is getting a little low, but altitude still helps.  Drilling
stratovolcanoes, though ... can that be very easy?  Of course, I like the
idea, in part because it helps quell environmental objections.  Volcanoes
are already environmental disaster areas.

>  An example of the non-linear thinking which can be easily applied to the
> gun method is that with many cargoes, the entire projectile could be
> deep frozen (Say in liquid N or He) prior to launch, thereby extending
> the heat tolerance.

But also increasing the brittleness of whatever you immerse.  One idea I've
doodled around with, not too seriously, is some scheme where you take
advantage of the strong deceleration through the atmosphere (about 20% I've
read) to push cryogenic fluid to the nose cone for cooling, then recycle
some of the heat gain as propellant - superheated gas.  If you could hold
onto some of the gas for a few minutes after leaving the atmosphere, you
might even use it for the apogee kick stage.  (500 m/s delta V, according to
some calculations.)  But this would probably only work (if it all) after
some amount of ablation down to the metal layers of the nose cone.

An empty tank plus nose cone plus kick stage rockets might be engineered for
intact re-entry, and be reused.