On the contrary - it appears that the probe was specifically designed for a splashdown, with landing on a solid surface considered less likely when it was designed.  With no body of liquid to both buffer its impact and provide the ideal environment for its Surface Science Package, we probably won't hear much from Huygens when it reaches the surface.

-michael
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, July 05, 2004 10:25 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: Cassini Provides New Views of Titan, Saturn's Largest Moon

That is just as well, since a splashdown would have meant that the probe would hav been silenced immediately.

Mark Schnitzius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I read elsewhere that some scientists are disappointed
that it appears that Titan's surface isn't liquid (it
would have appeared brighter, apparently, if it were).
They're now guessing ice. Might this actually be a
boon to future Europa missions? Huygens will have to
do an ice landing instead of a splashdown in six
months. What a Christmas present that will be...