----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 5:33 AM
Subject: Latest News from the Astrobiology Magazine

Countdown Meets Perfect Storm
http://www.astrobio.net/news/article1110.html

The early Monday morning launch of the first orbital mission to Mercury encountered a difficult weather pattern that scrubbed what operators call an 'instantaneous' launch window. Although the mission will extend to seven years until 2011, only twelve seconds are available to time a successful trajectory. Mission controllers forecast a next launch attempt for a twenty-four hour turnaround.

Moon Written in Stone
http://www.astrobio.net/news/article1109.html

In stark relief against the arid Oman desert, meteor hunters have found a rock launched from the moon before life even had time to take hold on Earth. More remarkable was the scientists' ability to unravel its complex timeline to give a complete history written in stone.

Titanic Purple Haze
http://www.astrobio.net/news/article1108.html

Cassini's camera captured a good view of the upper and lower atmosphere on Saturn's moon Titan. The moon has a thicker atmosphere than Earth's.

Francis Crick Remembered
http://www.astrobio.net/news/article1107.html

The British molecular biologist Francis Harry Crick died on Wednesday at the age of 88. Crick won the Nobel Prize for the co-discovery of a double helical structure for all our DNA. Crick also studied the origin of life, which he considered to be that life arrived on Earth from somewhere else in our solar system.

Monday, August 02