Title: Re: Smashing probe of a comet is cheered on its way to Jul
will the lower temperature help or hinder the signal across such a netting?  How much would something like this weigh, and still retain reliability?
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Gary McMurtry
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 4:12 PM
To: europa@klx.com
Subject: Re: Smashing probe of a comet is cheered on its way to July 4 rendezvous

OK Michael, I'll take the bait.  As much as I love mass spectrometers, they are not yet conducive to area array sampling.  One has to take the samples to it or them.  They are far better suited for time-series analysis at a single location, or mount them on a rover and move then around.  I like this titanium ribbon or net idea, in that it could get a lot of spatial information on surface composition that may not be attainable by remote sensing.  Maybe the trick is to miniaturize the detectors and use the ribbon as a conductor for power and data.  By the time we ever get to Europa, I think we'll have some rather small and robust detectors for dissolvable ions and organic molecules.  Also, there is safety in numbers and wonderful redundancy in arrays for relatively high-risk encounters such as these.

Gary

> The crater made by the impactor's solid copper ball, which could
> be as wide as a sports stadium and as deep as a seven-story building,
> will help determine just how tightly put together this ancient body is.

Gee, that seems huge for a copper ball launched into space, and
I'm amazed that they are so uncertain about the exact dimensions
of a copper ball so huge, given launch costs these days, and ...

Oh.  I see.

OK, OK, topic relevance: something like a Deep Impact for Europa
has been suggested ("icechip"), but with more of a view toward
sampling directly what's been scraped off the surface by a glancing
blow.

Here's another wrinkle on Highly Impactful Space Science, one
that might yield more interesting data, and one that I haven't
heard anyone talk about.

Imagine a machine that produces a very fine wire mesh, maybe from
this wonder Titanium alloy they developed last year here in Japan.

Imagine that it can continuously produce a ribbon of this mesh that
could be several hundred miles long, but doesn't weigh very much -
on the order of centigrams per meter, perhaps.  (Better to have a
wide-weave mesh, for better micrometeor resistance.)

Further imagine that you launch a roll of this mesh in some loopy
gravitational slingshot orbit that ends up at Europa, going very fast.
And that some Little Ion Engines That Could start unreeling the
mesh ribbon when the reel is nearing the Jovian system.

The way the ribbon hits Europa isn't all at once, nor is it end-first,
all piling in at one point, but rather so that sensors on some probe
not too far behind the unrolled mesh can scan across the line on
the surface formed by the impact - it goes in at an angle that
permits spectral sampling across hundreds of miles of Europan
surface just by scanning linearly along the points where it
will hit.  Maybe that probe is on the same trajectory - the Little
Ion Engines That Could might have not only unreeled the mesh
ribbon, but also pulled it some distance ahead of the data collection
probe.  The data collection probe might also slam right into
the surface later, but be taking pictures and sending them back
right up to the second of impact - so you get loads of mass-spec
data, and some of those "stunning images", a two-for-one special.

I'm no mass spec expert (I'm really just trying to tease an answer
out of Gary McMurtry here), but it seems like you could get a lot
of very representative data about the surface of Europa.  You might
even vary the chem;ical components of the mesh along its length,
to get different experimental effects on different parts of the surface.

And I think it's unit-testable on Earth.  The hypervelocity people
are getting pretty good at making tiny bits of material go very
very fast, so you could try out all kinds of wild hypotheses about
what's in the ice, and build up a profile, long before launch.
And the unreeling process could probably be substantially
debugged in Earth microgravity lab conditions - drop towers
to start, then Vomit Comets, then short suborbital jaunts
where you just let the mesh fall back into our atmosphere
so that it doesn't make much space debris, if any.

-michael turner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]