"What else is being reported to us on numerous other subjects that is also full of factual holes?"  Well, probably just about everything, especially if it might have political ramifications.  It seems like it's about 30% fact and 70% spin these days, and the facts are frequently either erroneous or carefully chosen from among a larger collection of facts that, taken together, would paint a different picture.  Science news is an exception in that it usually doesn't get reported at all unless it helps somebody grind their favorite axe or seems like too big a deal to ignore--and even then they usually don't get it straight.

Maybe media corporations should be fined for misrepresentations, not just "obscenity."  Personally, I'd rather be cursed at than lied to.

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of LARRY KLAES
Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2005 12:26 PM
To: europa@klx.com
Subject: Re: Amusing letters to the editor about Huygens/Cassini

Amazing not only at how many errors there were in this article, but the facts that they
were not checked by anyone at the Washington Post, no less, plus it seems not to be a
major journalistic crisis to them - it's just them space nerds and some alien moon billions
and billions of miles away after all, plus it doesn't seem to have anything to do with
Paris Hilton, so who cares?

What should concern everyone, even beyond the sad lack of basic science knowledge in
this country, is that if they let such easy-to-find-and-correct errors slip by, what else
is being reported to us on numerous other subjects that is also full of factual holes?

Larry