i agree!
----- Original Message ----- From: "Reeve, Jack W." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <europa@klx.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2005 9:15 PM
Subject: RE: Active SETI Is Not Scientific Research

I wryly note the massive volume of speculation perpetually raging on all regions of the space-alien sphere of thought.

Some see panspermian-spawned humanoids, some see robots, some see gods
or demons.  Some see galactic bliss, some see extinction.

All I see are a bunch of singularities hurtling toward us, all set to
coincide about 2018 - 2020 or so, beyond which, I am happy to assure one
and all, not a soul amongst us has any inkling of what approaches.

A case in point in the here and now is the existence of the internet -
unforeseen before its current ubiquity.

As we race toward the phenomenon of the technological advancement line
going vertical, things are going to get very murky.  Using the 365 days
of the year 2000 as a base tech year, 2020 is likely 400-1000 tech years
from now - 2100 is perhaps 20,000 - 100,000 tech years away.

For me there is no meaningful speculation of events on the other side of
this unprecedented horizon.  Only awe and wonder.  And joy at being here
to bear witness.

Jack W Reeve
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia