----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 12:23 PM
Subject: Photos: Stunning New Saturn View, #1 Wallpaper, More

National Geographic
Focus on Photography

February 2005

This month we're going telephoto with a far-off, far-out
photo in the news -- plus a close-up chimp shot and more.

In This Edition
--Stunning Blue View of Saturn
--Best Exploration Photos
--Number One Wallpaper
--Workshop With a Nat Geo Pro

Quiz

Does Saturn have a great red spot? (Answer at bottom)

See Photo of the Day -- Save It as Wallpaper!
http://ng.chtah.com/a/tBCFM2XASJ4TXAVgK4gAOOv6R.ASJ-ROE6/ngs30

Photo in the News: New View of Saturn
http://ng.chtah.com/a/tBCFM2XASJ4TXAVgK4gAOOv6R.ASJ-ROE6/ngs6

See an awe-inspiring new image of the true-blue king of
rings, courtesy of NASA's Cassini spacecraft.

--Photo: Baby Rhino Nuzzles "Elephant"
http://ng.chtah.com/a/tBCFM2XASJ4TXAVgK4gAOOv6R.ASJ-ROE6/ngs7

--Satellite View: NYC's "Gates"
http://ng.chtah.com/a/tBCFM2XASJ4TXAVgK4gAOOv6R.ASJ-ROE6/ngs10

--More Photos in the News
http://ng.chtah.com/a/tBCFM2XASJ4TXAVgK4gAOOv6R.ASJ-ROE6/ngs8

New: Exploration's Greatest Images
http://ng.chtah.com/a/tBCFM2XASJ4TXAVgK4gAOOv6R.ASJ-ROE6/ngs9

Make an instant escape with wallpapers and more from
National Geographic magazine's new best-of-exploration
collector's edition.

Most Wanted Wallpaper
http://ng.chtah.com/a/tBCFM2XASJ4TXAVgK4gAOOv6R.ASJ-ROE6/ngs33

Swing away with an infant chimp -- this month's best
wallpaper.

Fly British Airways to London, From $149 or Less O/W
http://ng.chtah.com/a/tBCFM2XASJ4TXAVgK4gAOOv6R.ASJ-ROE6/ngs11
With the most daily departures, and access to more hotel
rooms in London than any airline, you can enjoy your
getaway with those who know London best.

Ask a National Geographic Photographer

Question:

Can I shoot in black-and-white with my digital camera?

Answer:

Some high-end cameras allow you to shoot black-and-white
images. If yours doesn't, you can convert your color
images after the fact by using imaging software like
Photoshop.

Often there is a menu choice for converting your color
images to grayscale, but this might result in
low-contrast pictures, because it discards color
information. If this happens, try adjusting the red and
green color channels.

Try several methods (there are more complex ones) and
see what works best. Different methods will work better
with different photos, depending on the colors and what's
most important in your image.

--Mark Thiessen, National Geographic Photographer

--See Mark's photos in "Search for Other Earths."
http://ng.chtah.com/a/tBCFM2XASJ4TXAVgK4gAOOv6R.ASJ-ROE6/ngs12

--E-mail your photography question to [EMAIL PROTECTED].
(We'll answer one question a month in this newsletter.
Sorry, we're not able to reply to every e-mail.)

Final Edit

Why Didn't This Photo Make the Cut?
http://ng.chtah.com/a/tBCFM2XASJ4TXAVgK4gAOOv6R.ASJ-ROE6/ngs13

Unbearable lightness? Find out why this swimming scene
didn't make the March National Geographic magazine.

Black History Month, February 2005

Photo Gallery: African-American Cowboys
http://ng.chtah.com/a/tBCFM2XASJ4TXAVgK4gAOOv6R.ASJ-ROE6/ngs14
"Are there really black cowboys?" a woman asked Ron
Tarver. His photos, tributes to a vanishing culture,
answer the question.

Photo Gallery: Faces of Traditional Africa
http://ng.chtah.com/a/tBCFM2XASJ4TXAVgK4gAOOv6R.ASJ-ROE6/ngs15
Enter humanity's home continent through the eyes of
the ancient cultures that linger there.

Learn Photography From a Master

Photo Workshop in Santa Fe -- Book Now for March
http://ng.chtah.com/a/tBCFM2XASJ4TXAVgK4gAOOv6R.ASJ-ROE6/ngs16
Learn photography in the field with National Geographic
expert Jim Stanfield (March 13 to 19).

Best Price Guarantee
http://ng.chtah.com/a/tBCFM2XASJ4TXAVgK4gAOOv6R.ASJ-ROE6/ngs31
Subscribe to National Geographic magazine for only
$19 -- our best offer anywhere.

We'll see you again in one month. Until then, we'll be
on the lookout for the most illuminating images the
universe has to offer.

--The editors at nationalgeographic.com

P.S. To make sure you receive our e-mails, please add
[EMAIL PROTECTED] to your address book --
so your filter will know our e-mails are legitimate.

Quiz Answer

Yes, Saturn has a great red spot, though only Jupiter has
the Great Red Spot. Believed to be made up of phosphine
gas, the hot-hued "Anne's spot" is Saturn's largest
surface feature.

About This Newsletter

You received this e-mail because you signed up for
National Geographic's photography newsletter.

To change delivery or format options, change your e-mail
address, or sign up for other newsletters, please use the
links below, or write to National Geographic, Attn:
E-Newsletter Program, 1145 17th Street NW, Washington,
DC 20036.

Forward This E-Mail to a Friend
http://ng.chtah.com/a/tBCFM2XASJ4TXAVgK4gAOOv6R.ASJ-ROE6/friend?U=&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sign Up for Newsletters
http://ng.chtah.com/a/tBCFM2XASJ4TXAVgK4gAOOv6R.ASJ-ROE6/ngs28

Change Your Preferences
http://ng.chtah.com/a/tBCFM2XASJ4TXAVgK4gAOOv6R.ASJ-ROE6/prefcent?password=ASJ4TXAOOv6RBCFM2XtExiF94Ur7li

Privacy Policy
http://ng.chtah.com/a/tBCFM2XASJ4TXAVgK4gAOOv6R.ASJ-ROE6/ngs29

Newsletter Feedback: E-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Copyright 2005 National Geographic Society.
All rights reserved.