  1) Re: Epiphany on Range Issue
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Epiphany on Range Issue
        by "Rod Hower" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) OT: might build support for energy-efficient cars
        by "George Tylinski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Epiphany on Range Issue
        by "Chris Tromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Range definition (was: RE: Epiphany on Range Issue)
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Epiphany on Range Issue
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: A plan
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Actual Individual EV mileage
        by "Adams, Lynn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Attention to Detail: was 'What are the odds?'
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Epiphany on Range Issue
        by "Ralph Merwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Epiphany on Range Issue
        by "Mark Dodrill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: Attention to Detail: was 'What are the odds?'
        by David Brandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Epiphany on Range Issue
        by Edward Ang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Rudman reg madness
 15) Re: Attention to Detail: was 'What are the odds?'
 16) Re: Attention to Detail: was 'What are the odds?'
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Epiphany on Range Issue
        by "Glenn Crosby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Ceramic heating element efficiency
        by "George Tylinski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Meaningful Flags  was:OT-huffington article
        by "George Tylinski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Ceramic heater voltage
        by "George Tylinski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: A plan - expertise and suchlike
        by "Walker, Lesley R" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: A plan - rust
        by "Walker, Lesley R" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: A plan
        by "Walker, Lesley R" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) brushes for electrak drive motor
        by "SCOTT O'QUINN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Ceramic heater voltage
        by Jim Coate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Andre Blanchard wrote:

> So what is needed is the equivalent of a charging cradle for the car.  Just
> park the car some place close and a robot comes out of the wall, or drops
> from the ceiling and plugs the car in.  That kind of tech is built into kids
> toys now days, it just needs to be refined some.

Do you have a robot pulling the phone out of your pocket and sticking
in the cradle? May be in the morning its metal arm grabs your neck,
sticks the phone back in the pocket and synthesized voice reminds you
"Don't ever forget it again..."

Seriously, you only can use what's currently available and push the
envelope. It is more convenient not to recharge the phone ever, but
this ain't gonna happen in near future, so you and I put up with
having to pop it into the charger ourselves and live with this
huge inconvenience. The same with the car - live with its limitations,
or don't own one.

> That would make electric
> more convenient then a gas car.  Too get people to change you need to give
> them an alternative that is better then what they are currently using.

Or gradually quit making/outlaw what they are currently using or,
better,
just STOP SUBSIDIZING IT, so we don't have to wait to use up resources.

People is shortsighted, but understand money talk very well. Today.

It is doable, but painful and requires sacrifices (for the goodness
cause) of those who have power. While greed rules, unlikely it will
happen.

P.S.  I think EAA started taking data from members on annual EV mileage.
Any figures available yet?

http://www.southerncompany.com/planetpower/ev/why.asp?mnuOpco=soco&mnuType=ev&mnuItem=oc

Georgia power has logged 5 million miles on there EV alone.

Rod

http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?ItemID=13960&CFID=3259991&CF
TOKEN=68467416

Excerpt from above link:
The thought occurred to me after the startling announcement that the
administration was taking precious time off from an actual, necessary
war -- the one on terrorism -- to sue the state of California for daring
to require that carmakers put more energy-efficient models on the
road... It's not just a fantasy. Last week, talking to my friend Scott
Burns, co-creator of the "Got Milk?" campaign, I was delighted to hear
that he already had two ad scripts ready to go. The first one feels like
an old Slim Fast commercial. Instead of "I lost 50 pounds in two weeks"
the ad cuts to different people in their SUVs: "I gassed 40,000 Kurds,"
"I helped hijack an airplane," "I helped blow up a nightclub," and then
in unison: "We did it all by driving to work in our SUVs."

Culture jamming at it's finest... Or at least at the highest level.
Unfortunately I could not find a link to the "special fund" to
produce/air the ads, maybe it's not set up yet.

- GT
Rod Hower wrote:

> P.S.  I think EAA started taking data from members on annual
> EV mileage. Any figures available yet?

http://www.southerncompany.com/planetpower/ev/why.asp?mnuOpco=soco&mnuTy
pe=ev&mnuItem=oc

> Georgia power has logged 5 million miles on there EV alone.

Actually, I was more interested in annual mileage on an *individual*
basis.  I drive my ICE car around 12k miles a year in commuting and
errand-running use.  What's the typical annual total for an EV in
similar use?  If it's significantly less, would increased range bring
the total back in line with an ICE?

Bottom line, how useful is the typical conversion EV in daily operation?

Chris Tromley wrote:

> You (perhaps inadvertently) raise another issue that I wish the EV
> community could resolve.  That is, what is the definition of range.  The
> way I define it, and what I'd like to see generally accepted, is the
> distance you can drive under real-world conditions to 80% DOD, with a
> brief description of what those conditions are.  No one wants to run
> their pack to 100% DOD, so why report it?  "60 mpc @ 70°, mixed driving,
> moderately hilly" is much more useful than "120 mpc", when in fact the
> latter figure was from the TdS with 100° batteries at a constant 40 mph
> until the pack is toast.

"Typical" mixed driving styles are ISO standardized based on real world
driving. There are several styles used in the US, some more applicable
for Europe, a few - for Japan. Use US06 cycle - this is real world
driving in the US: few stop'n'go miles (low speed) to the freeway,
high speed (a bit variable) on the freeway, and few short stop'n'go
runs to the destination. Duration is about 10 min.

http://www.metricmind.com/line_art/us06_us.gif

I always use standard cycles for real world simulations.

Learn other definitions, this is useful for fair comparisons:
http://www.metricmind.com/cycles.htm

Why annual EV annual mileage (except long vacation trips) should be
any different from ICE annual mileage? Commuting is commuting.
My needs to go here and there haven't changed just because
electric motor replaced an engine...

Victor

On 24 Oct 2002 at 10:59, Lee Hart wrote:

> Here in the north country, every car has rust after just one winter. If
> your advice was taken literally, no used car could be converted, and even
> if you converted a new car, it would be unsafe after one winter.

I'm not talking about surface rust, I mean "skin cancer" -- rust from inside
body panels and welded reinforcement members.  Once it starts, it's very
difficult to stop, and on a unibody vehicle any significant rust means a weaker
body.  Vehicles that are built to be as light as possible lose considerable
strength this way, and I would hesitate to put another 1000 lb of lead in one.

I'll grant you that overbuilt vehicles are less of a concern, but overbuilt
vehicles weigh a good bit more to begin with.  That makes them a less than
optimum choice for conversion (all those S-10 conversions notwithstanding).

Where I live, too, the road crews use frighteningly large amounts of salt.  But
with a few exceptions -- my 1995 Honda Civic gasser being one of them --
newer cars don't rust very readily, thanks to better design and more extensive
use of galvanized steel.

David Roden
Akron OH USA
        Hi Chris,

        Well I have not driven my EV a year yet, but my mileage since I got my EV 6
months ago is right at 9000 miles.  The car is used for my daily commute.  My original
 commute was 40 miles round trip which I did for 2 months, but then I changed jobs and
now have an 88 mile round trip commute.  I'm putting about 450 miles per week on the
EV.  It is certainly feasible for my commute, which for Denver, is significantly above
average.

        Lynn

John Wayland wrote:
> I'm talking about those gorgeous bolts and nuts that have that
> gold-ish, high gloss look, I think it's called cadmium plating?

Cadmium plated hardware is basically silver colored. The gold coating
might be brass, or possibly "iridite" or zinc chromate.
--
Lee A. Hart                Ring the bells that still can ring
814 8th Ave. N.            Forget your perfect offering
Chris Tromley writes:

> Actually, I was more interested in annual mileage on an *individual*
> basis.  I drive my ICE car around 12k miles a year in commuting and
> errand-running use.  What's the typical annual total for an EV in
> similar use?  If it's significantly less, would increased range bring
> the total back in line with an ICE?
>
> Bottom line, how useful is the typical conversion EV in daily operation?

My EV serves 99% of my needs.  I drive to work and back every weekday
(26 miles total each day), with about 10 miles of 'spare' range.  I run
errands on the weekends that total up to about 20 miles on a busy weekend.
I estimate that I'll average about 7500 EV miles per year.

When I have several errands to run during the week I might have to drive
an ICE.  This occurs less than once a month.

Longer range on my EV would allow me to use the ICE less, but not enough
to justify the extra expense/weight/complexity.

Details about my car can at "http://www.aracnet.com/~rmerwin/prizm";.

Ralph
I gotta jump in here.

>From: "Chris Tromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>I've never accepted the viability of EVs with less than 50 mpc in a
>general sense.  I know that describes most conversions, but that's why
>in several years at my local club (EEVC) I've only seen one EV at one
>meeting.  No one has the range to get there on a regular basis.

I guess it depends on whether you think that current EV technology can substitute
for the American family's primary vehicle.  Even at 200 miles per charge
I don't think it qualifies for the general public.  I think the goal is
to shoot for an appropriate 2nd family car, in terms of wider appeal.

When I talk to people, and tell them I get 20 - 30 miles per charge, I also
add what I use it for, and emphasize how it meets my needs.  I use it for
commuting to/from work, and errands, and for that it works fine, and only
needs to be charged a couple times a week.  The people who "get" the argument
that all it has to do is meet your needs, are the people who could be convinced
that an electric car could work for them.  If they don't get this, then
IMHO, it won't matter what the range is--they won't see the use of an EV.

Would I like to have more range?  Of course, but it isn't the primary goal
for me--the primary goal is to get the job done, reliably and safely, with
no pollution.

Mark Dodrill
I'm not quite sure what you guys are talking about.  Cad. plating rare?
Cadmium plating on bolts is common around here, and available in a variety
of colors (though gold is the most common).  I can pick them up at the local
hardware store on most strength graded (SAE or Metric) bolts.  Various oxide
finishes are also available, as is nickel plate.  Cadmium plating is for
corrosion resistance, and seems to work well, although I always liked
stainless better.

The oxide finished and nickel plated versions do seem to be present in
greater numbers, but the Cad. plated types still seem to be very
available...

By the way, my escort came with a little decal inside the fuel door that
said "110 Volts AC Only" right where the "Unleaded Fuel Only" sign had gone.
It was one of the things I liked best about it.  Unfortunately, the adhesive
has since failed.  I'll have to add that to the list of decals I need to
replace.