  1) RE: Sevcon DC/DC slow cooking aux. batt.
        by "Mark Dodrill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: exide
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: Sevcon DC/DC slow cooking aux. batt.
        by beckettw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Curtis 1244
        by Eric Penne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Theoretical range/performance
        by David Brandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Evercell NiZi batteries (MB-80)
        by John Lussmyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: evercel vs AGM - Basis for a FAQ somewhere
        by Rich Rudman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Curtis 1244
        by Peter VanDerWal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Toyota Celicas, Starlets and Tercels
 10) RE: Curtis 1244
        by "Adams, Lynn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Rudman Regs a Poem.
 12) Two strings better than one.
 13) RE: Two strings better than one.
        by "Mark Dodrill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Chico EAA chapter meeting
        by "Chuck Alldlrin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Two strings better than one.
        by Peter VanDerWal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Hybrid Evercell/AGM pack?
        by Richard Bebbington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Chcio EAA meeting 11-16-02
        by "Chuck Alldlrin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Advanced Batteries - Li-Ion Musings
        by "Dave Davidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) E-Meter Questions
        by Steven Ciciora <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I have my Sevcon Generation II connected to 2 6v SLA's from an old UPS.
 No water boiling away there.  :)

I've fiddled with the output voltage on the Sevcon myself.  You have to
take out 4 white plastic screws to get the top to become loose (of course
this will void any current warranty).  The output voltage adjustment is
on the end opposite of the power connections, which is nice.  I have mine
set at 13.5v output now.  I had it set higher before, but it didn't help
with the load.  The one I have starts to squeal at about 27 amps at 12v,
and tops out at 30-32 amps of output max.

I would recommend checking the output voltage on the Sevcon, and see what
it is.  If its above 14v, I would recommend turning it down, not only because
of the battery watering, but also because it is using more juice from the
pack than necessary.

Mark

Mark Dodrill
On 12 Nov 2002 at 9:21, 1sclunn wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with Exide
> GC2H's?

At one point I had some older Exide GC-2s in my Comuta-car.  They dropped
like flies!   But to be fair, they were used when I got them.

I have heard in recent years that Exide doesn't build "true" deep cycle
batteries.  That might be just a rumor, though.

How you care for them probably makes more difference than the brand.

1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea rider 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.
When I had the Blazer I had two Sevcons in parallel because of the 12vdc
power requirements of this car.  I had a relay on the ignition switch so
that they would not turn on unless I was using the car.  Some like to
leave it charging all the time but they turn down the output voltage.

- Will

Will Beckett

Contact information (https://ecardfile.com/id/will_beckett)

Become a member or donate to the Electric Auto Association, donations
are tax deductible. http://eaaev.org/eaamembership.html

From: Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Advanced Batteries - Li-Ion Musings
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:59:59 -0800

Dave Davidson wrote:

> Victor,
>
> Great that you may start carrying them. Will you be getting the Thunder-sky
> cells/batteries or from a different supplier?

Direct from Thunder-sky. I wouldn't run ahead of train, it's long way
to establish this. they are slow on responses

> How much do you know about the BMS built into the 36 and 42 volt monoblocks?

Nothing until I get specs.

> My fear is that they are designed for the new cars coming out with the
> higher voltage system and are not made to be strung in series.

They are, no car uses just one battery. But I don't know details yet.
Some of the new ICEs are going to a 36/42 volt system because the 12 volt system can't handle all the accessories. These would use just one battery, plus maybe a 12 volt battery. That's the market I thought they would be going for.

>... as that would tremendously simplify things.
>
> My desire is to build a car with the most range I can get.

Nothing will beat Li chemistry then (kWh/weight).

Either LiIon or LiP.

> I figure if I can fit in as many 200AH cells as your system can handle, I
> should have phenominal range.

It's not a limitation of my system - it's suspension/space
in your car and your wallet. They make 500Ah modules which will give
you 500 miles range - conservative estimate.

The problem will be charging time and cost.
And weight. A system of the 200 Ah cells would only weigh about 1000 pounds (thinking of a high voltage AC system here). However, the 500Ah monoblocks sound ideal for a low voltage DC system. Didn't see them on the website, though.

> I'm probably 2 to 3 years away from building my dream car, but am learning
> as much as I can so I can do a first-class job. I can probably match the
> RAV4 range with the NiZn, but would like to do better if I can.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Dave Davidson
> Laurel, Maryland
> 1993 Dodge TEVan

I see NiZn as the step up from PbA, but only as a back up plan if LiIon
are not realistically available.
At least to hobbyists. NiMH are excellent, especially the Matsushita (sp?) batteries in the Toyota RAV4 EV. Just not available outside the OEM market.

The chemistries are (best to worst):

1 - LiIon/LiP
2 - NiMH/NiNaCl
3 - NiCD
4 - NiZn
5 - PbA

Note, 2 to 4 are all Nickel based. (3 and 4 may swap places in future).

If going 5 notches up is doable, I see no reason invest in one notch
step up. But this is just my personal take on the issue.

Victor
One more note on the NiCd. All that I am aware of are flooded batteries. Are any sealed units being made? I much prefer sealed batteries for my next EV.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me understand more.

Dave

Firing up my e-meter that I bought used, and have some questions.  I hear
that there is an EV version and a non-EV version; the ev version has some
imput filtering.  How can I tell if I have the EV version?  Being an
engineer, the first thing I did was open it up, and there were quite a few
un-populated surface mount components.

Also, I seem to remember somewhere that there is a schematic floating
around for the prescaler.  I imagine all it is is some resistors, maybe
some small filter caps, and a zener or something to clamp the input to
below 50 V.  Anyone know more about the prescaler?  Is it just a divide by
10 to convert 0->500 to 0->50V?

Anyone know what the optional temp. sensor is?  Just a 10K thermistor?

Thanks for your time,

- Steven Ciciora