  1) Compound Wound Motor
        by "Rhett T. George" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Small  AVS e-bus for sale,  Hybrid? RV?
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) OT: World's most powerful battery
        by "Mander, Art" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4)
        by brucedp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: World's most powerful battery
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: OT: World's most powerful battery
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Environmental impact of advanced batteries
        by "Chris Tromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Way OT: Word use
        by Adam Kuehn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Lightweight Jeeps
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: VW donor questions
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: VW donor questions
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Fill'er up with Tide
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Fill'er up with Tide
        by Michael Hurley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Environmental impact of advanced batteries
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Environmental impact of advanced batteries
        by John Lussmyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Environmental impact of advanced batteries
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Environmental impact of advanced batteries
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Environmental impact of advanced batteries
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Environmental impact of advanced batteries
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Fill'er up with Tide
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: Environmental impact of advanced batteries
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: Environmental impact of advanced batteries
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Environmental impact of advanced batteries
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) RE: Environmental impact of advanced batteries
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) RE: Environmental impact of advanced batteries
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) RE: Environmental impact of advanced batteries
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) EV List noise level has risen to delete all
        by Bruce EVangel Parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Insuring Sparrow in New York State
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--- Begin Message ---
 - Greetings -

Darin Gilbert asked a very good question about compound motors and whether
a series motor could be made into such a motor.  It is a matter of degree.
Most compound motors use the shunt (high resistance) field as the main
source of field flux.  The series field changes the behavior so that in
most applications the motor has increased starting torque (cumulative com-
pound).  Big changes in magnetic field flux will make big changes in motor
speed at a near-constant load torque.  The Elec-Trak is a good example.

Apart from thermal considerations (cooling the field coils), adding a shunt
winding atop the series field coil winding is an interesting exercise.
Wire size and length along with number of turns will have to be juggled
to find the best, maximum voltage which can be applied without producing
too much heat.  If someone takes this challenging project, do start by se-
lecting a series motor with a great deal of winding room between the pole
pieces,  Take care that on startup, the new field source adds flux to that
provided by the other winding.

cheers.
                                        Rhett George
      Hi Chad, Rod and All,
--- Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks for the link!
> I talked with the President of AVS at
> a transportation exposition in Cleveland, Oh
> on Sept 10 (the show ended early on the next
> day, Sept 11).  A big reminder for me to
> promote non dino vehicles.
> Anyhow, $3500 seems pretty cheap for a nice
> motorhome.  Somehow I think much more would
> be invested in making it road worthy.
      Maybe but there are 2 battery packs though they
are changed by a forklift!!
      If another controller is needed there are others
now that will work. The motor should be good. So just
the motor/drive, ultra light weight chassis of alum
and fiberglass would be worth it as a hybrid starting
point as a longrange RV.
      For who asked, it is the AVS22 and seats 21+ 1
wheelchair + standups. The seat are on the sides
facing the center. Easy conversion into couches, beds
for an RV.
> What kind of batteries are on board?
     265 amphrs trojan single cells in 2-168? vdc
packs plus another spare set.
     Change those for a T-US-125 batt set for less
weight and set up the ICE motor to keep them charged
for long trips and electric around town could be a
winner.
> The AVS in Cleveland had lead acid with a
> pretty advanced battery balancing and charging
> system.
     No wires/ sensors that I saw for that on the
extra packs.
     Charging is 3ph.
> Who knows, maybe the electronics would be worth
> $3500.  Unfortunately I don't have room in my
> driveway for a bus!
    I may be talking myself into this!!! I would if I
had extra money.
    There is an ICE motor on it but don't think it's
the Capstone turbine but will check again and see if
it or the bus starts.

http://www.etvi.org/General/New_List_of_Buses_Bottom.html
> > as well as
> > http://www.avsbus.com/tech.html

http://webhosting.yahoo.com
Here's an interesting item from "Energy Central", an electric utility
industry news site:

Saft Delivers the World's Most Powerful Battery

Saft is supplying the most powerful battery in the world to Golden Valley
Electric Association in Fairbanks, Alaska. On Friday, September 27, they
started delivering the first of the 13,760 nickel-cadmium battery cells that
will comprise that battery. When it's completely assembled, the battery will
be able to provide 26 megawatts of power for 15 minutes under potentially
brutal temperature conditions. The battery will weigh around 1,300 tons and
its footprint will be about 2,000 m2.

Art Mander, Denver
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 18:57:11 -0400
Subject: Insuring Sparrow in New York State
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Does anyone own and have a Sparrow insured in New York State ?
What is the name of the insurance company ?
How is the Sparrow classified by the insurance company ?
Approximate cost to insure Sparrow (amount of coverage, etc.) ??
Thanks,

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com