  1) Re: SAFT NiCads (was: Coolant pump choice?)
        by Seth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: L91-4003, Max RPM's?
        by "Mark Hastings" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: SAFT NiCads, Charging, (was: Coolant pump choice?)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Life as a Development Engineer (long)
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: L91-4003, Max RPM's?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: SAFT NiCads, Charging
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: "Light Dimmer" charger
        by "Joseph Miller"<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Amtrak Test Train Derailed  OT
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Woodburn?
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Water drag eats ahs
        by Bruce EVangel Parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Charging
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 12) Re: Used Optima YT's for sale - breaking up my pack
        by "1sclunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Little trip to Berkeley.  Range calculation.
        by "1sclunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Water drag eats ahs, tire-d theme, too.
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Used Optima YT's for sale - breaking up my pack
        by "John G. Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: liquid heater tanks
        by "Joseph H. Strubhar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: SAFT NiCads (was: Coolant pump choice?)
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: SAFT NiCads, Charging
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Charging
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Donor vehicle.
 21) OT mileage computers Re: Water drag eats ahs
        by John Bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) electric VW Pickup for sale
        by Paul G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Little trip to Berkeley.  Range calculation.
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: OT mileage computers Re: Water drag eats ahs
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: SAFT NiCads, Charging
        by "Ralph Merwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Bill, in case you haven't considered, they are only rated for 120 watts
per kg at 13.2kg, or ~264A. But they are an energy battery, not power.
Sized just about right for a 3 phase drive with 400A IGBTs, (280A RMS)
like a Solectria Force. If your existing system draws a lot more current
from the batteries, you may want to look into this (I have heard of it
but haven't actually driven a Saft NiCad car. Also Joe Smalleys tests
indicate that more power is available, but at 300A the voltage is
10-10.5V per 2 modules. I don't know how any of this affects life, either.

I hope the deep link works:

http://www.saftamerica.com/automotive/uk/index.htm

Seth

--
vze3v25q@verizondotnet
Bill Dube wrote<snip>
>          This motor is too small to use in a Rabbit conversion. It does
not
> have the continuous HP needed to push the car down the road at a steady
> speed. You will probably burn up the armature windings or perhaps the
field
> windings.
With much of Bob Rice's help I bought the conversion from someone in DE who
had been using it for many years with the 6.7" with 72 volts and a Curtis
48-71 volt 400 amp controller. But I think he never drove it on the highway
and only about 10 miles a day in a much liesurly fashion. A couple hours of
work and it will be able to drive so since it's all together already i'm
going to try it out but I do have my dreams set on a Warp8 and 156volts of
say optima 31's with my raptor 600 in between though i'm sure the 600 is too
weak to use with optimas in some peoples opinion but it's what I have and
i'm never gonna race it. But those are just flights of fancy and i'll end up
somewhere in between..

Mark Hastings..
Otmar wrote:

> At 4:08 PM -0700 12/14/02, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> >        AGM batteries and these flooded NiCads have something in
> >common; the negative plate does not charge as well as the positive
> >plate. This means that when the voltage comes up at the end of the
> >charge, and the battery appears "full" the positive plate is
> >charged, but the negative plate is NOT fully charged. You must then
> >push in an over charge to complete the charge on the negative plate.
>
> Thanks Bill,
>
> Battery chemistry is not my strong point, but I'm wondering is there
> some external way to determine if the negative plate is fully
> charged, Voltage, Impedance or some such?

An electrochemist will put a third reference electrode in the cell's
electrolyte, and measure the voltage between it and the negative plate.
This voltage is called the "half-cell potential. The material for the
third electrode is carefully chosen so it does not create its own half
cell potential.
--
Lee A. Hart                Ring the bells that still can ring
814 8th Ave. N.            Forget your perfect offering

If you want something documented for someone else to copy, have the engineer
to do it. The paperwork comes first and then he has the technician build it
to print usually with a couple go arounds before it works. Documentation is
right but the schedule usually gets compromised because the prints are not
totally 100% correct on the first (or second) draft.

Technicians have a slightly lower base rate but they get time and a half for
overtime. Engineers don't get overtime. Each group has a different union
that have different contracts.

Joe Smalley
Rural Kitsap County WA
Fiesta 48 volts
NEDRA 48 volt street conversion record holder