  1) EVLN(Mach 1 SpeedCharger)
        by Bruce EVangel Parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) EVLN(DENSO gets the lead out)
        by Bruce EVangel Parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: OT Vehicle safety: Bigger isn't better
        by "john kangas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) EV's pollute more than ICE (argument)
        by Rick Hartmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Tropica #16 has it's plates - LONG
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re:cheapest conversion
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: EVLN(Mach 1 SpeedCharger)
        by Rich Rudman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: EV's pollute more than ICE (argument)
        by Rich Rudman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: EV's pollute more than ICE (argument)
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re:cheapest conversion
        by "Tony McCormick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: EVLN(EVAA changes to EDTA, shifts focus away from EVs)
        by "George Tylinski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: EV's pollute more than ICE (argument)
        by Seth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) EV Convoy with Dad
        by Marvin Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: EV's pollute more than ICE (argument)
        by Peter A VanDerWal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
EVLN(Mach 1 SpeedCharger)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV informational
 purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
 --- {EVangel}
Lenmar Powers Up World's Fastest Battery Charger Line; Lenmar
Enhances
and Expands Multi Award-Winning Mach 1 SpeedCharger Line

CAMARILLO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 19, 2002--Lenmar
Enterprises,
Inc., a leading manufacturer of rechargeable batteries, battery
chargers and accessories for consumer electronics, today announced
major additions to its two-time award-winning (CES Innovations Award
2002 and 2003) Mach 1(R) SpeedCharger(TM) line. Building on its
breakthrough technology, Lenmar's Mach 1 line now provides a high
speed charging solution for virtually every rechargeable battery
category including the explosive growth digital camera segment.

The Mach 1 line is based on Lenmar's patented NeoTherm(R) technology
which uses microprocessor control to deliver a rapid charge, without
overcharging, by continuously monitoring and conditioning the
battery.
The battery temperature is stabilized as it charges, preventing
overheating, thereby extending battery life up to five times longer
than most charging systems and substantially improving battery
performance. And the SpeedCharger fully charges the battery during
rapid charge, unlike competitive products that only partially charge
the battery in the rapid charge cycle.

Electronic device owners no longer have to wait hours to charge their
batteries. Each model in the Mach 1 line offers significant
improvements in charge speed compared to competitive rapid chargers.

--  The Mach 1 Alpha Li-Ion charges camcorder and digital camera
    batteries in under 30 minutes, or three times faster than
    traditional chargers. It accepts a wide selection of charging
    plates to support 3.6 to 7.4V Li-Ion batteries from all of
today's
    popular devices.

--  The Mach 1 Delta charges 3.6 and 6 volt NiMH and NiCd camcorder
    batteries in under 45 minutes, or two times faster than
    conventional chargers, and accepts batteries from Sharp, Canon,
    Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Hitachi and others.

--  The Mach 1 Gamma is supplied with four 2000mAh AA batteries and
    has four charging slots that allow any combination of one to four
    AA and AAA NiMH batteries to be fully charged at one time in one
    hour or less, for a charge time seven times faster than most
    chargers.

All models include LED status indicators, international voltage
support (100-240V AC), a car cigarette lighter adapter (12 VDC) that
enables you to fully charge batteries on the road, and an
industry-leading three-year warranty.

"Our Mach 1 line sets the world standard for ease-of-use and improved
rechargeable battery performance. It provides the huge new market of
digital camera users with a significantly better alternative to
factory chargers," stated Marty Goldberg, Lenmar CEO.

About Lenmar
Lenmar Enterprises, Inc., located in Camarillo, California, is a
38-year-old company dedicated to providing customers throughout the
world with advanced battery solutions, high performance chargers, and
accessories for consumer electronics. Lenmar's market-leading
products
meet or exceed the performance of the OEM counterparts and provide a
lower-cost, high-value option to OEM and dominant brands in the
category. The Company's products are sold exclusively through
authorized resellers. BatteryCentral.com is a reseller-focused web
site designed to facilitate location of hard-to-find or specialized
batteries for dealers and their customers. Lenmar.com is the
companion
consumer-oriented site allowing consumers to locate battery products
and accessories and obtain a referral for a dealer in their area.
For
more information about Lenmar, please log on to our web site at
www.lenmar.com, or contact Eric C. Kreis, Director of Marketing,
(805)
384-9600 Ext 116.  Mach 1 and NeoTherm are registered trademarks of
Lenmar Enterprises, Inc. Lenmar, SpeedCharger, BatteryCentral.com and
Lenmar.com are trademarks of Lenmar Enterprises, Inc. All other
trademarks are the property of their respective owners.  CONTACT:
Lenmar Enterprises, Inc.  Eric C. Kreis, (805) 384-9600 ext. 116 Fax:
(805) 384-9693 [EMAIL PROTECTED] SOURCE: Lenmar Enterprises, Inc.
12/19/2002 14:26 EASTERN
-

=====
' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor & RE newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
=====

http://mailplus.yahoo.com
EVLN(DENSO gets the lead out)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV informational
 purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
 --- {EVangel}
DENSO to Eliminate Lead in Brushes for All Automotive Electric Motors
to Meet New European Regulations

TOKYO, Dec. 19 /PRNewswire/ -- DENSO Corporation and ASMO Co., Ltd.,
DENSO group company, will completely eliminate lead in brushes of all
automotive electric motors including starters, alternators, fuel
pumps, and electric fan motors by March 2003.

"DENSO began switching to lead-free brushes last month by utilizing a
newly developed alternative agent for lead," said Koichi Fukaya,
senior managing director of DENSO Corporation.  "We are scheduled to
complete the company-wide switch in cooperation with ASMO by next
March for all production motors with an output of around 15 million
units per month worldwide."

Recent European vehicle disposal legislation prohibits, after July
2003, the use of lead in motor brushes for new vehicle types.

"As one of the world's top automotive motor manufacturers, DENSO will
meet new environmental regulations before legislation is in effect,
with lead-free brushes for all its automotive electric motors,"
Fukaya
said.

To achieve the switch, DENSO has developed jointly with a brush
manufacturer a new additive agent, consisting of several kinds of
additives, to eliminate lead in the brushes of large-current starters
and improve brush durability, company officials said.  Motor brushes
with this new agent were found to have longer life and generate more
power than brushes using conventional additive lead.  Before the new
additive was available, lead had to be added to motor brushes of
large-current starters to improve brush durability(1) for the life of
the motor.

Previously, for almost every type of electric motor manufactured, a
minute quantity of lead has been applied as a mold release agent
during the production process.  To avoid using even this amount of
lead, Fukaya said that DENSO will also begin to substitute an
alternate mold release agent in corporation with ASMO in an effort to
totally eliminate lead from the production of all types of electric
motor brushes.

DENSO Corporation, headquartered in Kariya, Aichi prefecture, Japan,
is a leading global supplier of advanced technology, systems and
components. Worldwide, the company employs 87,000 people in 31
countries.  Consolidated global sales for the year ended March 31,
2002 totaled US$18.1 billion (2,401.1 billion yen)(2).  DENSO common
stock is traded on the Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya stock exchanges in
Japan.

ASMO Co., Ltd., headquartered in Kosai, Shizuoka prefecture, Japan,
is
a DENSO group company and produces electric small motors including
power window regulator motors, washer motors and wiper motors.

DENSO Corporation is the parent company of Detroit-based DENSO
International America, Inc., the North American DENSO headquarters.
In North America, DENSO employs 14,000 people at 25 locations with
consolidated sales of $4.7 billion for the above fiscal year.

1) A motor brush provides an electric current to a rotating coil
while
   contacting the coil.  The brush is liable to be worn during the
   motor operation because it keeps contact with the rotating coil,
   significantly affecting the life of the motor.

2) The figures for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2002 include the
   effect of an irregular 15-month reporting period, due to 45
   overseas subsidiaries and overseas affiliates changing their
   year-ends to March 31 from December 31.

SOURCE  DENSO Corporation CO:  DENSO Corporation; ASMO Co., Ltd.  ST:

Japan SU: http://www.prnewswire.com 12/19/2002 11:21 EST
-

=====
' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor & RE newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
=====

http://mailplus.yahoo.com
Crabb, David wrote:
I don't think too many people think of it like nuclear or battleship
proliferation, where you want something bigger or heavier than the
next guy... So now if everyone just drove Excursions... just to be
safe, would we really be any safer?

Most people do not think more than one move ahead. They assume that a)
bigger cars are safer, and b) nobody but them will buy a bigger car.
Therefore, they will be safe because theirs is the biggest.

I've heard a lot of people say they bought an SUV because they're afraid of SUV's. The safety record of even a Volvo isn't much consolation after seeing an SUV drive straight through the windows of one.
Personally, I have a consience, so I drive a Festiva. Also why I'm planning to convert one to electric.

I have a friend who insists that EV's pollute more than ICE. His argument is that due to transmission line losses and transformer losses in grid distribution, it takes 2000 watts to get 1000 watts to the EV. Since they have to generate twice the power, it causes twice the pollution/carbon dioxide, etc.

Has anyone done the math on this? My argument is that the pollution generated to get a unit of power (gallon of gas) to an ICE must be huge when one considers the energy and pollution to get the oil from the well, refined and to the gas pump.

Can anyone provide hard data so I can put this guy in his place? Where can I find detailed hard data on the energy cost of getting gasoline to the pump and how much pollution that creates? Is there any detailed hard data on transmission line losses and how much is really lost versus what ends up charging the EV? I'm especially interested in how much power it takes to refine gasoline and how efficient refineries are in general (and how much they pollute).

Thanks,
Rick
That's about as good a tale as the ones Bruce used to post in his early days
with the Blazer (what, about '96 or so, Bruce?).  It was an enjoyable read
with some eye-rolling moments (been there) and a happy ending.  Thanks for
posting it, and congrats on making your topless car legal.

1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea rider 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.
The time-honored approach is to employ used and surplus components.  If you
don't insist on race-car performance, lots of stuff can be scrounged from
forklifts and industrial vehicles.  The controller can be a simple series-
parallel contactor device with a big resistor for starting, or you can find
an old SCR controller that nobody wants any more.  The charger can be a
couple of used 36 volt golf car chargers obtained from a shop that's
upgraded some golf cars to 48 volts.

Use your imagination.  Make friends with the right people.  Talk to lots of
people who work with golf cars and industrial vehicles; they often have old
parts in the back or know where to find some.

Often if you keep your eyes open, you can buy a used conversion for much
less than it would cost to do your own.  I've seen conversions that need
work sell for a few hundred dollars.  Even if the vehicle itself is junk, at
that price you can transplant the electric drivetrain components into a
newer or more solid vehicle.

Bruce EVangel Parmenter wrote:

> [...]
> batteries for dealers and their customers. Lenmar.com is the
> companion
> consumer-oriented site allowing consumers to locate battery products
> and accessories and obtain a referral for a dealer in their area.
> For
> more information about Lenmar, please log on to our web site at
> www.lenmar.com, or contact Eric C. Kreis, Director of Marketing,
> (805)
> 384-9600 Ext 116.  Mach 1 and NeoTherm are registered trademarks of
> Lenmar Enterprises, Inc. Lenmar, SpeedCharger, BatteryCentral.com and
> Lenmar.com are trademarks of Lenmar Enterprises, Inc. All other
> trademarks are the property of their respective owners.  CONTACT:
> Lenmar Enterprises, Inc.  Eric C. Kreis, (805) 384-9600 ext. 116 Fax:
> (805) 384-9693 [EMAIL PROTECTED] SOURCE: Lenmar Enterprises, Inc.

Gee more charge power and thermal monitoring... What a concept!!!
It was a nice idea about 100 years ago... still is.

--
Rich Rudman
Manzanita Micro
Rick Hartmann wrote:

> I have a friend who insists that EV's pollute more than ICE. His
> argument is that due to transmission line losses and transformer
> losses in grid distribution, it takes 2000 watts to get 1000 watts to
> the EV. Since they have to generate twice the power, it causes twice
> the pollution/carbon dioxide, etc.
>
> Has anyone done the math on this? My argument is that the pollution
> generated to get a unit of power (gallon of gas) to an ICE must be
> huge when one considers the energy and pollution to get the oil from
> the well, refined and to the gas pump.
>
> Can anyone provide hard data so I can put this guy in his place?
> Where can I find detailed hard data on the energy cost of getting
> gasoline to the pump and how much pollution that creates? Is there
> any detailed hard data on transmission line losses and how much is
> really lost versus what ends up charging the EV? I'm especially
> interested in how much power it takes to refine gasoline and how
> efficient refineries are in general (and how much they pollute).
>
> Thanks,
> Rick

Transmission line losses are more like 5-7 % of the total energy
produced.
Basicly it's getting close to a free lunch. Once the hardware is
hung....
        Check the BPA sites and the Puget Sound Energy sites. (PSE)
The losses are very small when you consider the total amount of energy
being pushed around.
        It ain't %50 or else we all would be warming our selves down by the
nearest substation.

It takes Diesel fuel to move even more fuel. The largest losses in Petro
based energy is refining losses.

--
---Rick Hartmann wrote:

[...]

Lots of facts and figures here:

"Debunking the Myth of EVs and Smokestacks"
http://www.princeton.edu/~bcjones/transportation/ev/myths.html

Roy LeMeur Seattle WA

My Electric Vehicle Pages:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evpage.html

Informational Electric Vehicle Links:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evlinks.html

MSN 8 helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 3 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU= http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_virusprotection_3mf
Subject: Re: EV's pollute more than ICE (argument)
From: Peter A VanDerWal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 28 Dec 2002 21:25:20 -0700

Check the list archieves for detailed discussions on this. However, your
friend is WAY wrong.

Energy wise only about 1/2 the potential energy in a gallon of crude oil
gets the the wheels on a typical EV, however with internal combustion
engines (ICE's) only about 15-25% does.

Some of the ICE's pollution occurs at the refinery, more in the trucks
that haul it to gas stations, and finally even more at the vehicles tail
pipe.

EV's see similar pollution when the power plant runs on petroleum fuels
(most run on coal), however the power plants have more efficient heat
engines and much better pollution control than ICE's.
Getting the energy from the power plant to the house is highly efficient
(~95%).

Also in many places EV's run on sunshine, rain and wind.  Essentially
pollution free.

Check the archives California did a study and figured that the typical
SUV produces between 10 and 100 times as much pollution as an EV
(depending on which pollutants you are looking at).  This was full
cycle, from the ground (well/mine) to the wheels and did NOT include EVs
that run on clean renewable fuels.