  2) Re: Motor Amps, Battery Amps ?
        by Nick Viera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Make your own fuse.
  4) Bad gear ratio on Stock Lectra.
  5) Re: Make your own fuse.
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: DC clamp meter recomendation
        by "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) BLDC motor with integrated control on Ebay
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Make your own fuse.
        by "M.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Sealed PbA battery Options
        by "John Bryan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: kWh/mile challenge
        by "Richard Furniss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Revitalizing EV batts. and regulators
        by strowbridge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: kWh/mile challenge
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: DC clamp meter recomendation
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: kWh/mile challenge
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) test bench notes:
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: DC clamp meter recomendation
        by "Steve Clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: kWh/mile challenge
        by "Steve Clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: DC clamp meter recomendation
        by "Markus L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: kWh/mile challenge
        by "Richard Furniss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: kWh/mile challenge
        by "Richard Furniss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) test message, please ignore
        by "Cliff Rassweiler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: kWh/mile challenge
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) test please ignore
        by "ProEV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: DC clamp meter recomendation
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: DC clamp meter recomendation
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- Place a disqualification rule for people exceeding recommended tire pressure, checked at end of run? (have a witness?)
divide into classes
A430 Aero 4 wheel 30psi max
A450 Aero 50 psi max
S430 sedan 4 wheel 30psi max
S450
T430 truck
T450
M2 motorcycle
M3 motorcycle + sidecar

Even if a competiition is not held this kind of info would be invaluable for helping design and diagnose. If 10 people with 120V rabbits are getting 200 wh/mile and you are getting 300 in yours, you might suspect something is up.

Roderick suggested that my motor timing might be set incorrectly. Since
I wasn't sure how it was set, and the tail-shaft end of my motor is easy
to get to, I decided to investigate.

I found that my motor does have three sets of holes drilled in the case,
to allow the tail end of the motor to be adjusted to 3 positions.
Looking at the *tail-shaft* end of the motor, the bolts were bolted into
the most counter-clockwise set of holes. So my timing is set to the most
advanced position. Darn, I was hoping it would be set wrong which would
have been an easy fix :-/

After reinstalling the bolts and torque rod, I went for a 5.2 mile drive
during which I made a point of driving the motor to higher RPMs. I
noticed something very strange:

I was flooring it in 1st gear from a stop (the yellow LED is OFF), and
instead of shifting into 2nd at 25 mph (~4000 RPMs) as usual, I stayed
in 1st. Well, the minute the motor rose above 4300 RPMs, the Yellow LED
came ON SOLID, and my ammeter (which was showing ~350 battery amps)
immediately pegged well over 400 amps. Of course I let off after a
couple seconds because the motor was at 5000 rpms, and I didn't want to
damage my batteries. And I was able to repeat this. So It seems that at
any motor speed above 4300 rpms, I CAN make the controller give full
power. However, this still does me NO good, as take offs in anything but
1st (or maybe 2nd) gear are still impossible, and acceleration continues
to be lousy.

When I got back in the garage, I immediately put a temperature probe on
the tail shaft of the motor. It read 135 degrees F after that 5.3 mile
drive. It was hot, and the motor DID smell some again.

Now, another suggestion was to take amp readings with the transmission
in gear, and the rear wheels off the ground (no load, but drivetrain
spinning).

Motor   ------- BATTERY amps ------
RPMs:   (1st gear)      (2nd gear)
1000    3               6
1500    5               9
2000    9               12
2500    10              15
3000    20              -
3500    20              -
4000    24              -

What confuses me is the fact that I was seeing LESS battery amps when
the motor was spinning the entire drivetrain under no load, VS when just
the motor and flywheel were spinning under no load. Maybe this is due to
there being more inertia in the system due to the heavy, spinning tires?

I guess this shows that there is nothing wrong with the drivetrain since
the current didn't increase significantly? (oh BTW, the Jeep does seem
to coast well.) Do we still think it is the motor?

-Nick
1988 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 EV
http://Go.DriveEV.com/