  2) RE: 3 phase PM-long and heading OT
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas
        by James D Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) SiC Schottkys
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: 3 phase alternator-why not an induction machine?
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: 3 phase PM-long and heading OT
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: 3 phase alternator-why not an induction machine?
        by James D Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: SiC Schottkys
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Poll Re: Dave Cloud's Rules ideas
        by "Joe Strubhar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: SiC Schottkys
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) New EV Dragster
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 13) Two Boost Options
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Does only size matter? (For DC motors?)
        by "Markus L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Slot Car Idea.
        by Lightning Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Power Transmission (was: Re: NEDRA rule changes)
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) EV1 Vigilers -Day 15 Celebration and Media Update
        by Marc Geller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: 3 phase PM-long and heading OT
 19) Warning sound for approaching EV
        by "djsharpe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) More EV crushing?
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Warning sound for approaching EV
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: Warning sound for approaching EV
        by "Adams, Lynn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
> Implimentation Thoughts:
> How about a pair of embedded rails that could be driven over
> and synced up with.  There could be multiple short segments such

One challenge: drivers don't like to stay in one lane very long when on the
road...especially the freeway.

Good points Peter-

> Using real PMDC motors as a generator/charger, with no
> external regulator, the only way to control current is by changing RPM.

As you say, no 12v battery charging current would flow from the ETEK
generator (thru a diode, or I'd use a transistor or mosfet for efficiency)
until the speed hit 990RPM, then WHAM---any increase in speed with the motor
will require more and more steam volume, and/or pressure.  The pressure is
regulated at 70psi or so I think.
My guess is that from a control perspective it will be fairly stable.
This is because, as you say, no load will be presented until 990RPM or so,
then any increase goes into generated current and load, balancing the added
steam flow.  Keep turning the steam up, the speed increases slightly, the
load current and torque increases and the speed stabilizes.  Sure, as the
voltage rises, the current will drop---but that's not a problem---it, too,
is stable.  The engine room guy can watch it periodically and increase the
speed to compensate.  Ideally, the steam valve could be automatically
controlled by either output current, RPM or even by a modified 3-stage
charger used as a controller.

Thanks for raising a key point!

-Myles

>Also any vehicle in the claimer division can be purchased at the end of the
>race not just the winning vehicle. This still excludes the unclaimable
>division which no one can purchase ever.

 What would probably happen in practice is that guys (and gals) in the same
money bracket would just swap cars around, which could be enjoyable in its
own way. Victor could show up at Woodburn and take the Zombie home that
night, while Wayland gets to play with AC motors and Hondas for a few
months.

David Thompson

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I got mine free as samples. And I don't know what the replacement cost was for the next few we got. I don't know what the qty 100 price is.

Seth

On Mar 1, 2005, at 8:56 PM, Rich Rudman wrote:

Yea Seth I read that PCIM issue also.
I did some checking and it's like $200 for a To-220 device. But the specs
are too kill for.

It's clear these devices will revolutionize power silicon archatechture.
But they are out of production and Cost range for now.

Put another way, When the get down to 2 times the cost of my APT2X61D60s in
the Iso top TO-227 package.. I will install them in my chargers.
Yea Lee would be right using the Cree TO-220 package right now. And they are
available, I just am NOT on the military procurement schedual.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Seth Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu> Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 1:46 PM Subject: Re: Question: Max efficiency charging with 3 phase alternator

Add a zero to that sixty volts, Rich. Cree makes 600V Schottky SiC
diodes. A spinoff of making all those blue LEDs...

How about that in a motor controller. Forward voltage drop still isn't
great, but they burn less power switching off.

Caveat Emptor on these, as I haven't used them (much at least), but
they are available in Otmar's favorite package, the TO-247.

Seth

On Mar 1, 2005, at 3:25 PM, Rich Rudman wrote:

OK Lee...
Schottkys can only be gotten up to about 60 volts, The voltage spikes
ring
higher than that while boosting.

Good fets usually have good body diodes or are co-packed with better
diodes..

Yup... unless you can't use Schottkys then fets are your only choice.

I predicted a full Fet bridge was going to be better. Switching the top
allows you to reduce rectification losses. A ON fet is a LOT lower
than
even a Schottky.

They staid with diodes on the top side. ...I think. We had long
arguments
about what was doable and what was right and cost effective. Yea to do
topside sync rect they needed encoders,
Not cheap and easy. Doing this with BEMF sensing and a DSP... Would...
allow for cheap commutation control.
Then again they didn't want to use a expensive Micro, they used a
MicroChip
of some sort.

So... there are ways to suck Trons from small sources... elegantly...

for example is rated at 4.15 HP cont. at evparts.com
and 7.4 HP for 5 min.

So I assume the higher HP rating of this motor is
due to the air flow and the peak power I can get
from both motors should be roughly the same?

Markus

--- Begin Message --- Myles Twete wrote:
Implimentation Thoughts:
How about a pair of embedded rails that could be driven over
and synced up with.  There could be multiple short segments such

One challenge: drivers don't like to stay in one lane very long when on the road...especially the freeway.

Ya, but if it's a matter of having enough juice to get there or not I don't think a BEV driver would mind spending a minute or two creeping up a hill on the shoulder while stuffing some big amps into the pack. .oO( It's just a nutty dream anyway, gassers just wouldn't get it )

L8r
 Ryan

Sam asked:

"...recently if it is possible to use a plasma arc to power a free-floating (eg: magnetically suspended) rotor..."

The answer is Yes, but only in a pure vacuum ;-)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Greetings all from the EV1 Vigil!

It's been over 2 weeks! And all 78 cars are safe- we vigilers believe that's something to celebrate!

As for a media update,

An article came out in the Santa Monica Mirror today (print version tomorrow) on Paul Scott, Chris Paine, Peter Horton
http://www.smmirror.com/volume6/issue38/ev_devotees_hold.asp

Woody Harrelson published a solicited piece on the vigil (and a former Specialist you might be familiar with) in his website www.voiceyourself.com

And, the Daily Breeze and KCET Life and Times stopped by the vigil today. We're told the Daily Breeze should hit Sunday (John Bogert) and Life and Times will be on Tuesday!

Thank you everyone for help with the updates!

the EV1 Vigilers

>>      Efficiency: 100* (13.2/14.8) = 89% (resistive losses only)
>
> I think that you are overly optimistic here.  You quote specs that
> showed the E-Tec's peak efficiency to be 88-89% at 70A+ and 36-48V.  The
> efficiency decreases with voltage, as illustrated by the drop in peak
> efficiency to "just" 86% at 70A and 24V.  There is little hope of
> getting 89% at 13.2V and 40A if the peak efficiency is only 86% at 24V

Note: he said "Resistive losses only"

> The E-Tec is approximately a cheaper version of the LEM-200 motor, and
> while LEMCO's site doesn't show performance data for the LEM-200 at 12V,
> it does provide data for the slightly smaller LEM-170:
>
> <http://www.lemcoltd.com/spreadsheets/170-126%2012v.xls>
>
> and at 24V:
>
> <http://www.lemcoltd.com/spreadsheets/170-127%2024v.xls>
>
> Notice that at 24V the efficiency curve looks much like that of the
> LEM-200 (broad efficiency peak at about 86% from 55-90A, and still above
> 83% at 120A), however, at 12V and 40A the efficiency is about 45% and
> doesn't break 70% until 100A (and then peaks at less than 73%).

Note: the chart clearly states that figures are with brushes set in a
neutral posistion.  Adjusting brushes for generator mode will improve
efficiency.  Plus he is planning on running generator at 13-14 volts not
11-12 volts, this will also improve efficiency.
I believe that 80% on the Etek is very possible.

A vehicle inspector warned that my EV (Diahatsu Charade) poses a risk to
pedestrians cyclists because it is too quite. It needs according to him
a continuous sound. I seek comments from other EV or hybrid users.
Perhaps we could amplify the sound the brush gear makes or replicate the
horn of a main line loco. What do you think?
 David

Sorry for the cross-posting.  anyone know more about this?

[..]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> to electriccarsUK  3/2/05

In a secret car demolishing site in France (a breaker), the PSA
group has started demolishing between 300 and 400 hundred Saxos and
106 that have never been used. They take out the Ni-Cad batteries
(where do they go?) and they sell the rest at a very high price. Do
you remember the Think scandal? Ford would do the same thing to
these cars, but were stopped. Who can stop Citroën and Peugeot? Will
they ever be credible again? Are they going to the EVS21 in Monaco?
Will they still laugh at us there? Please contact media and - the
PSA group - we all need this to be known!!!

The news has been leaked from within the PSA system - top level and
top secret ...
[..]

How about using a playing card pin to the spokes of the wheels.  The cyclist
bike is too quiet too.

  When I had my EV inspected, they said it needed this and some of that.  I
said, look at the new VIN label that is on the door, that this vehicle in in
compliance with all federal standards which list all safety requirements for a
EV.

The inspector said OHHH, and that was that.

A State inspector cannot override the federal requirements or have you add
something to the vehicle, unless he is a expert engineer in that field.

For example, one time they wanted me to add bumpers to a very low sports car
that is 1 inch off the ground, which was manufacture that way.  The whole car
is made out of carbon fiber and there is no frame member in the front of the
car and only engine transaxle in the rear.

The reason for a bumper is to reduce damage to the body panels.  The bumper
would cost more than the body panels and it would provide a hazard to the car,
because it would have to be jack up high so a 5 foot long steel I-beam could be
welded under the car, dragging on the ground, which would make the car
unstable. I said only 100 of these were made, so the large vehicle productions
regulations is not required for a low volume production.

I think production has to be at 300 vehicles before it has to meet standard
federal specifications.

  A vehicle inspector warned that my EV (Diahatsu Charade) poses a risk to
  pedestrians cyclists because it is too quite. It needs according to him
  a continuous sound. I seek comments from other EV or hybrid users.
  Perhaps we could amplify the sound the brush gear makes or replicate the
  horn of a main line loco. What do you think?
   David

After three years I have yet to surprise anyone while driving the
electric car.  The road noise of the tires on the road provides pleanty
of warning.  If a noise was required, I suppost the Prius and some of
the new cars that are very quite when running at slow speeds would also
need some kind of noise....

Lynn Adams

See my 100% electric car at http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/379.html