  1) Re: BB-600 Nicad Cells
        by Derrick J Brashear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: 9' ADC aft mounting holes (rather, lack thereof)
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: 9" ADC aft mounting holes (rather, lack thereof)
        by "Paul Compton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Las Vegas NEDRA Wicked Watts Head Count
        by "Chip Gribben" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Tire pressure for lower rolling resistance?
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: AC Bandsaw motor questions
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Jeep EV Update (New Controller!)
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Comet CVT/Torque converters in a lightweight ev?
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: AC Bandsaw motor questions
        by Rush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: 9' ADC aft mounting holes (rather, lack thereof)
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: AC Bandsaw motor questions
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: 9" ADC aft mounting holes (rather, lack thereof)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) LA to Vegas
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 14) RE: 9' ADC aft mounting holes (rather, lack thereof)
        by "Will" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re:  Comet CVT/Torque converters in a lightweight ev?
        by "Tim Humphrey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Jeep EV Update (New Controller!)
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Comet CVT/Torque converters in a lightweight ev?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: PM w/ separate lead for each brush?
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Electric boat controls
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: BB-600 Nicad Cells:  SoCal group buy?
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Stop deceptive ads by Automakers
        by Sherry Boschert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: Peukerts for LI-Poly (was Re: Additional outside funding)
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Jeep EV Update (New Controller!)
        by "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Jeep EV Update (New Controller!)
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) RE: PM w/ separate lead for each brush?
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: PM w/ separate lead for each brush?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Jeep EV Update (New Controller!)
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) "The future of electric drag racing is in AC"
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Huh. My replies bounced too. Damn

Well, hopefully there are 300 cells left that I can get.
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Yes, proper alignment of the motor in the car is important. Our 914 mount takes care of this issue.

Ben, you may have a very early 9" motor. The first ones did NOT have the two mounting pads. If you have one of these, do NOT attempt to drill it. The metal isn't thick enough. Or you may have one that escaped the factory WITH the mounting pads, but not drilled. If this is the case, you can get away with drilling them. If you have a fax number, I can fax you a drawing showing exactly where the holes should be. Another possibility would be to see if there is anyone out there with a trashed 9" motor and a good end bell they would sell/give you.

You don't use a 3/8" bit to drill a hole for a 3/8" bolt. You need a 5/16" bit.

The mounting system for the electric motor replicates the factory 914 motor mount system, supporting the motor at the front and the transmission at the rear. Any other setup is liable to give you grief.

We do recommend cradle mounts in some models, but we do not recommend generic one-size-fits-nothing-quite-right versions. The mount should be designed and fitted to the car in question. We have a tech paper on how to do this.

Mike Brown
Electro Automotive POB 1113 Felton CA 95018-1113 Telephone 831-429-1989
http://www.electroauto.com [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Electric Car Conversion Kits * Components * Books * Videos * Since 1979

Second try!

I doubt a band clamp would work very well, since my
understanding is that it wouldn't do a very good job preventing rotation,
and there's really nothing else in the engine compartment to which one
could mount the motor.

The torque reaction in a 914 is around the driveshafts, so you really just
need to support the end of the motor vertically. I'm trying to remember how
we did it in No.13. I remember replacing the heavy Porsche front mounting
beam with a welded tube arrangement (part of our continuous efforts to keep
the wight down), but I can't quite remomber how it was atattched to the
motor and I don't think I've got any pictures. I spent enough time lying
underneath that damn car, you'd think I'd remember.

The alignment isn't that critical, we lowered the motor quite a lot, but you do have to make sure the shift linkage works properly. It's a pretty hidious pile of junk at the best of times.

Paul Compton
www.sciroccoev.co.uk

When you said sorry I thought, "Oh no, Brian can't make it".

But after reading further, I was relieved. Having Ice Breaker there will be
great.

Chip
http://www.nedra.com

visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

The major automakers have launched a deceptive ad
campaign claiming that autos made today are virtually
emission-free. Our friends at the Union of Concerned
Scientists offer an easy way for you to ask the
Federal Trade Commission to launch a false-advertising
investigation at:
http://www.ucsaction.org/action/index.asp?step=2&item=24834&ms=UCShome

Sherry Boschert
President
San Francisco Electric Vehicle Association
415-681-7731
www.sfeva.org

__________________________________
Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!

Since this discussion regarding Lithium and Peukert effect began, I've done
some looking at research papers online which have investigated opimal
modeling for LiPo batteries.  This is a ripe area of research still.  In the
process, I have found an interesting reference to 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4-th
generation modeling of batteries.  Also there are the different types of
common modeling, from the classic electrical and electrochemical models to
far more sophisticated numerical computation and computationally intensive
ones.  I haven't found any research reference which offers data and modeling
to support the claim that Lithium batteries do not see effective capacity
reduction with increasing load currents.

Ryan suggested that a Lithium battery discharged at one higher rate will
subsequently yield more energy at a lower rate, etc.  I pointed out how PbA
batteries exhibit this effect as well.  Ryan claims that this is not the
case "due to Puckerts":

> Right, but I was under the impression that at high rates PbA will only
> deliver a fraction of it's lower rate nameplate capacity.  After such
> a high rate discharge you can't lower the rate and get the other half
> of it's capacity out because it's lost due to Puckerts.

This is not true.
Even at low 0.1C rates of discharge on my boat (45amps of 450Ah), the
batteries show a voltage sag.  Removing the load, or reducing it, causes the
voltage to rebound.  This is indisputable.  And in fact, running on mere
electrons at 15amps with one 225Ah string, with only 24v of 36v rating,
reducing the current to 10amps caused the voltage to increase, allowing me
to go another mile or so before the battery voltage dropped back down to
that level seen at 15amps.

No, rather than Lithium magically being able to deliver more energy after
removing or reducing the load once a target discharge voltage is reached,
ANY electrochemical battery exhibits this effect.  Emil pointed out why by
pointing out that the speed of electrochemical reaction in batteries is
limited "in each case".  Look at several good research papers on Lithiums
right now and you'll see lots of modeling done on just these reactions,
reaction rates and lags.

The effect you are referring to, Ryan, is called "rebound".
Electrochemically, it is due to the delayed reaction in the chemicals
flowing in/out of the boundaries or materials in the battery until stasis is
reached.  This reaction rate differs between battery chemistries, but is
there in all---and it creates a lag time, which ALLOWS extra energy to be
extracted after what seemed to be battery depletion to a target discharged
level.

NOTE: The Peukert battery capacity vs discharge rate model DOES NOT model
REBOUND EFFECT!
It's a simple, "2nd generation" battery model and in so being, doesn't
include the rebound.

Many battery models do not model rebound.
But ALL electrochemical batteries exhibit it.

Finally, from one study I read that not only do Lithium batteries show
reduced effective capacity as a function of load current (just like NiMH,
PbA, etc.), but "pulsed" load currents show a SIGNIFICANTLY greater impact
on Lithium battery capacity than their averaged current!

An example for a Lithium rechargeable (from "The impact of Battery Capacity
and Memory Bandwidth on CPU-Speed setting: A Case Study", by Martin and
Siewiorek of Carnegie Mellon University) shows that for a continuous
specific battery load of 75w/kg yielded a battery life of 1.9hours.  AND
YET, with the same battery, an intermittent load of 4-times the peak
current, but with the same AVERAGE current of 75w/kg load, showed only
1.3hours (31%less)of discharge time!  They further noted that only with load
levels below 50w/kg did the pulsed load yield a total effective battery
capacity as the equivalent continuous load.

This is an important factor for EVers using Lithiums with dynamic battery
loads, and shows conclusively that Lithium batteries are not immune to
battery loading.

-Myles Twete

The key distinctions here are "high voltage" ( > 200V input), and
"automotive" (intended for SLI usage in an automobile).

There have been many good ideas posted here very recently about what would
make a good DC/DC; I think something sealed and watertight that provides
75-100A at 14V when active and acts as an intermittent battery charger
(charging only when necessary) when inactive would be a huge step in the
right direction.

I don't know of anything that fits this description, at any input voltage.
There are more basic non-automotive-specific units available (eg. the Iota
supplies, etc), but nothing for folks running at higher voltages. At 348V,
I'll have no really good options off the shelf.

In recent discussions with knowledgeable folks I've been clued in as to
why this is such a difficult thing to produce (at a reasonable price), but
still I'd like to think of this as an "opportunity" for certain well-known
quality-minded individuals....   :o)

  --chris

Christopher Robison wrote:

> that provides
> 75-100A at 14V when active and acts as an intermittent battery charger
> (charging only when necessary) when inactive would be a huge step in the
> right direction.

In my setup, I just want to run the DC/DC with it wired directly to
the fuse panel with no accessory battery.  I'll have LED lights front
and back, the horn, I'll wire up the wiper motor "just in case", an
E-meter, a tach, gauge lights for night time use; that's all the
accessory load I can think of. I wonder how many amps all that will
sap off my pack?  What size DC/DC would be needed to support all that?

> In recent discussions with knowledgeable folks I've been clued in as to
> why this is such a difficult thing to produce (at a reasonable price),

What are the hindrances to making a DC/DC that supports higher pack
voltages?  I'm unaware to what the difficultly might be.

I was wrong here:

> Config Vmax  Imax    Wmax     Kb^-1
> 1S4P   48v  135amp   3600RPM  72RPM/V
> 2S2P   96    67.5    7200     36
> 4S1P  192    33.8   10800     18
For the ETEK hypothetical brush rewiring craziness, I made a mistake.
The speed column is WRONG...Wmax instead is 3600RPM in each case...i.e.:

Config Vmax  Imax  Kb^-1   Kb         Kt
1S4P   48v  135amp 72RPM/V 13.9v/kRPM 1.18 lb-in/amp
2S2P   96    67.5  36      27.8       2.36
4S1P  192    33.8  18      55.6       4.72

These remain unchanged:
Wmax = 3600RPM
Tmax = 160lb-in

So what would be the advantage in any dynamic 'rewiring' of this motor since
the top speed remains unchanged?
Someone may find it useful to use the ETEK at higher voltages...ahh, so
perhaps that's the benefit: Run at 96 or 192v as a drag vehicle race motor
with the ability to briefly dump 150amps or so from a 96v pack, for the
equivalent torque you'd get with 300amps from a 48v pack.  Advantage?

-Myles Twete

Joe Smalley wrote:
> In order to build a flexible motor like you describe, you must
> change the field polarity on each segment of the field separately.
> You cannot do this with a PM motor but you can do it with a wound
> field motor.

Yes, this is normally true. However, there *are* PM motors that have 4
brushes, and are wound with so they function as two independent
armatures that you can connect in series or parallel. They do this when
then need two different speeds, or need to have one motor that runs the
same speed on either 12v or 24v. For such a motor, you do not need to
change the magnets.
--
Ring the bells that you can ring
Forget your perfect offering

Look at these in general
http://vicr.com/library/technical_documentation/datasheets/2nd_gen/

and at this one in particular
http://vicr.com/documents/datasheets/V375A12C600A.pdf

You will get 40A-45A out from Maxi series

Vicor also makes 14.3V (+/-) nom output DC-DCs but it is not
their standard line.

'91 ACRX - something different

Ryan Stotts said:

Christopher Robison wrote:
Mark Farver said:

The DCP DC/DC is basically no longer available.  I understand that a
dozen or so are still around but that the current owner is hesitant to
put them into the retail channel.  This leaves the EV industry with no
high voltage capable DC/DC products.  Someone needs to start thinking
about repackaging an Vicor or Meanwell device.

I've complained about it before so I won't add too much here, other than my agreement. This is a hole in the market that would guarantee at least a temporary monopoly to the party that fills it.

So the situation currently is that their is not a suitable DC/DC for the 12 volt needs in an EV?

-- Victor '91 ACRX - something different

Roderick Wilde wrote:
> I am personally looking forward to the day when we can have a
> double A class which would be above 360 volts since that is the
> current limit of DC cars. I don't see DC going much above that.
> It's not that efficient up there. The future of electric drag
> racing is in AC so I could logically assume up to and beyond
> 600 volt machines.

Are there AC motors out now that have the performance potential that
you have in mind?

If the motors available now are listed as having a max current rating
of "400 amps", is that a "hard limit", as in; it REALLY is limited to
400 amps?  Or is that just the factory under rating their stuff and it
can really take at least double that?  ;)  Just how many amps can
these water cooled AC motors take?

What's it going to take to get some lower cost high amp inverters made
for AC setups?

When do you see the AC revolution taking place?  This year, or next or?

If current high performance DC motored street EV's can run 13's with
12's being possible, what type of performance can be expected with AC
setups?  12's to begin with or better or?

Thanks for any info.