  1) Re: e-meter type gadget wish list wanted.
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Help me decide!
  3) EV4Sale: Dead Ranger EV in Watkinsville, GA
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Ampabout ... Plain Vanilla
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Zilla FS (was Re: Zilla Backorders)
        by Cwarman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: e-meter type gadget wish list wanted.
        by Gordon Niessen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Battery calculation, NiCad vs. LeadAcid
        by Matthew Trevaskis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: e-meter type gadget wish list wanted.
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: e-meter type gadget wish list wanted.
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: EV4Sale: Dead Ranger EV in Watkinsville, GA
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Help me decide!
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: e-meter type gadget wish list wanted.
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: e-meter type gadget wish list wanted.
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: e-meter type gadget wish list wanted.
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: e-meter type gadget wish list wanted.
        by "Jamie Marshall \(GAMES\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Help me decide!
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Confusing arising (Direct Drive and Transaxle)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: e-meter type gadget wish list wanted.
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: e-meter type gadget wish list wanted.
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Plus and Minus Together
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Battery design
High temperature LCD materials are available.  Expensive though, which
is probably why the auto companies have limited its use to just the
tiny odometer display.  Since that display is practically static,
other parameters such as update speed can be sacrificed for
temperature range.

I have one of those displays in my motorhome (chevy chassis).  I have
seen it hot enough to be practically unreadable.  It didn't turn black
like cheaper displays.  It just loses contrast and turns a general
gray color.

John

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:30:37 -0700, "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>On Aug 24, 2005, at 10:41 AM, Neon John wrote:
>
>> LCDs were and are totally unsuited for those conditions.  That's why
>> the auto companies have avoided LCD technology.  It just can't take
>> the cold or the heat.
>
>I'm curious. One place that a number of cars have adopted the LCD is
>the the odometer display. How are they keeping that thing readable? It
>seems like it could get WAY to hot packaged behind clear plastic in the
>generally dark color speedometer head.
>
>Paul "neon" G.

---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN

>>> How about a Lynch, Lemco, or Etek motor and 4QD or Sevcon controller?
>>> This should match the efficiency of the expensive AC drives and still
>>> cost less.
>
> Peter VanDerWal wrote:
>> The Etek is not even in the running, it's at least 5% lower in
>> efficiency than the Lynch/Lemco. IIRC the Lynch motor runs at less
>> than 90% efficiency when set for neutral timing. I'm not sure how
>> efficient the 4QD or Sevcon controllers are, but the motor alone
>> is already behind.
>
> These motors are all about 85-90% efficient, battery to shaft.

Only if you don't use a controller.  I'll grant you that's possible with
DC motors, but not terribly efficient in a vehicle that needs to travel at
various speeds.

> essentially the same as an AC drive, battery to shaft.
If you consider +or- 5% essentially the same, then it's pointless to
continous this discussion, because I don't.

The E-cycle motor is approx the same power level as the Etek or Lynch.  It
tops out at 96% efficient (not counting the controller), and over 95% for
a large portion of the torque curve.  That makes it almost 10% more
efficient than the Etek and 6% better than the Lynch (when the lynch is
setup for regen).

> You have to
> remember that the AC drives generally require liquid cooling, and they
> leave out the power used for the cooling system. The DC systems are
> generally air-cooled, and cooling losses are already included in their
> stated efficiency.

Probably because power required for the pump typically negligible, far
less than 1%.
Also many AC motors do NOT require liquid cooling, the E-cycle doesn't and
I don't think the solectria does (can't remember right now).

> Also, the AC drives require an inverter. Most use IGBTs which have a 4-6
> volt drop per phase (2-3v per IGBT, 2 in series per phase). The brushed
> DC motors can be run straight to the battery with no controller at all,
> if you worship efficiency.

Only at a single speed per battery voltage.

> And, most AC drives use induction motors, which always lose several more
> percent efficiency to slip.

The E-cycle motor uses rare earth magnets.

> So all I'm saying is that brushed DC motors can have essentially the
> same efficiency as an AC drive, if you're willing to spend the same
> amount of money.

I don't agree.  Since you haven't pointed out a hgih efficiency DC motor
that is equal to the Siemens motor, lets compare AC systems that are
similar power to the Lynch motor (the best of the above)
The E-cycle single stack motor is rated at 6kw continous, and the double
stack is 12kw.
These motors are significantly cheaper than the Lynch motor.  Enough so
that I suspect that even with the extra cost of the AC inverter, the total
price might just favor the Ecycle motor.

In fact Ecycle sells a motor with electronic comutator built in (the CMG
series) and you can drive it directly from a battery, or using a standard
DC motor controller.
It's efficiency is 95% (including the comutator), AND that's setup to do
regen.  That makes it approx 5% better than the Lynch motor setup for
Regen.  AND it will maintain this efficiency over a wider portion of the
torque band than the Lynch, AND it will run at higher continous voltages
than the Lync.
Finally, it CHEAPER than the Lynch.
AND it doesn't have brushes to wear out.

>> Assuming we are doing a full size conversion, like the original
>> message, you’ll need at least 15-20 kw continuous output. That’s
>> at least three Sevcon controller $1800, and two Lemco motors $3700,
>
> At least two Lemcos and Sevcon controllers (Sevcon has models big enough
> to do it with two, but not one controller).
>
> A better choice would be to get a larger brushed high-efficiency motor.
> A scaled-up version of the Lynch motor would be even more efficient.
> However, I don't know of one offhand (though they clearly could be
> built).

One could also build a scalled up version of the Ecycle motor and maintain
it's lead on the Lynch type motor.

>> plus circuit breakers, contactors, etc.  Add it all up and you’re
>> right at the price for a more capable (and more efficient) Siemens
>> system.
>
> All these parts have to exist in both systems. No "wins" for AC vs. DC
> here.

Sure, but they are included in the $6K+ price for the Siemens systems.

>>> If cost matters more than efficiency, how about any of the sepex
>>> motors and controllers now used in golf cars? Or a Curtis 1221R
>>> and ADC series motor? Or Zapi H2 controller and Kostov series motor?
>
>> But they don't match the efficiency of the AC drive systems do they?
>
> Why harp on efficiency? Are you building a solar car?
Because the Arguement was about efficiency, duh!!

> I'm thinking more
> of practicality. You can build a *practical* EV with either an AC or DC
> drive system. Assuming you spend the same amount on each, their
> efficiency can be close enough to the same that you can't tell without
> careful measurements.

Probably true, 5% is only an extra 2.5 miles on a 50 mile range EV.  Most
folks won't notice the difference.

If you wish to change the basic premis of the arguement, I'll concede the
point to you.

>>> Eteks and other PM motors don't have (or need) interpoles because
>>> they never run at weak field. The optimum brush position moves
>>> because of armature reaction, which occurs with a high armature
>>> current and low field strength.
>
>> Hold on a second...this is Lee talking right? Come on Lee, you know
>> better. The optimum brush position DOES move on PMDC motors when
>> switching from motor to regen.  I know this from my own experiments and
>> LEMCO has it clearly posted on their website.
>
> {My, are you in a bad mood today :-)
>
> I didn't say armature reaction was zero in a PM motor. I just said they
> don't put interpoles on PM motors. This is because armature reaction
> isn't big enough to justify interpoles.

Unless you are running a Lynch type motor and don't want to burn out the
brushes when you use regen.  This sugests to me that the armature reaction
isn't exactly trival.

> But, you can still run a high enough armature current to cause the
> optimum brush position to shift. For this reason, they do build PM
> motors with advanced, retarded or neutral brush positions depending on
> direction of rotation and whether it will be used as a motor and/or
> generator.

Like the Lynch/Etek that we were discussing.

>>> Traction motors with interpoles are fairly common.
>
>> GE doesn't make traction motors any more.
>
> That would surprise me. I'll have to check. Perhaps with all GE's
> financial troubles and merger mania they've sold that division and it's
> still operating under another name.

Sorry, GE dropped their EV division about 10 years(?) ago.  I supose they
might make a locomotive traction motor small enough for a conversion.

>> As far as I know you can't buy an ADC motor with interpoles.
>
> True. They are a low-end supplier.
>
>>  I can't find anyone who carries new Kostov motors, are they still
>> in business?
> Again, they probably do. But I don't know who imports them.

As near as I can tell, nobody.

>> Who sells Westinghouse motors?
>
> Westinghouse, I suppose.
>
>> Are they available/affordable for the hobbyist?
>
> I'm a hobbyist; I bought 4 of them a few years ago for $500 each.

OK, now you have my attention.  You bought 4 EV size westinghouse motors
with interpoles?   Details please.

>> ...or that cost more than better systems (i.e. AC)
>
> The Siemens AC system is about the only affordable AC option for
> hobbyists. I applaud Victor Tikhonov offering them for sale. But they
> are surplus, too; not current production.
>
>>> I maintain that the efficiency difference between AC and DC systems is
>>> largely artificial.
>
>> Come on Lee, can you say "Brushes"? ... as long as motors have
>> brushes, they will lag behind brushless AC motors by a couple percent.
>
> The voltage drop of a brush is 1-2 volts. The voltage drop of an IGBT is
> 2-3 volts.

IGBTs are not REQUIRED for AC drive systems.  You could use FETs just like
DC motor controllers, and therefor the losses (in the controller) would be
the same.
Controllerless DC setps aren't really all that practical for conversions,
which is what we are talking about.

>>> For example, if you budget $2000 for motor and controller, you can
>>> get a plain old series motor and PWM controller. Or a plain old 60hz
>>> AC induction motor and industrial motor controller. Both will be
>>> about 80% efficient, and neither has regen.
>
>> Are you talking used or just small?
>
> Small, new. I was thinking of an ADC 6.7" motor and Curtis 1221C
> controller.

Check out www.ecycle.com, not a lot more expensive than ADCs of similar
power and lots cheaper than Lynch.
At 10-15% higher efficiency compared to a ADC 6.7, I'd think even you'd
agree that is significant.
I'll admit I haven't tried to actually buy a motor from them yet.

>> The available low voltage controllers tend to be less efficient
>> than the high voltage ones.
>
> The low-voltage controllers use MOSFETs; the high-voltage ones use IGBTs
> (both AC and DC). And both have essentially the same efficiency.
>
>> And, of course, any voltage drop across a brush is going to be
>> higher than no voltage drop with no brushes (i.e. AC motors).
>
> All motors are AC motors, and all need some kind of switch. All switches
> have a voltage drop. The brush of a DC motor is the same as the
> transistor in an AC motor. Neither has any intrinsic advantage, and both
> can be made arbitrarily small if you are so inclined.

Perhaps, but when you are talking about electric vehicles, a controller is
normally used.  When you factor in the controller, which also functions as
the switch for the AC motor, TOTAL system efficiency favors the AC motor
setup.

AC systems don't HAVE to be high voltage, nor do they HAVE to use IGBTs.

- [Edited]
http://www.world.org/weo/ranger
Includes DS-50 240-volt Portable Charger

This vehicle had been working perfectly, getting up to 70 miles
on a charge, until last week.  It no longer will start. We have
no idea if this is a minor or major problem. Since there are no
repair facilities in our area, we have decided to sell this
vehicle AS-IS to the best offer we receive. Funds paid for this
vehicle will be used exclusively to further our efforts related
to renewable energy.

Additional features: Stereo, Power Window/Door Locks, air bags,
4-wheel ABS

Please call Jeff Gold at (706) 769-1000 or email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Watkinsville, GA 30677
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor, RE & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere

I got my newly painted EV back from the Auto Body. My fear is that
they only did a once over and sprayed some paint, even though I
paid
for the best paint package. Only time will tell.

Next time I do this, I will have the windows taken out, and then I
will do the sanding in the nooks and crannies I am sure they only
hit with paint. Then I turn in the vehicle for painting I will be
sure to get a better job. Once the paint is dry, I could then get
the windows put back in.

So, right now with the hood changed out, I do not have solar panels
in the hood. I will need to update my Blazer EV web page. Also, the

old-n-yellowed "Electric" decal that Solar Electric put on, and the

California HOV stickers have been taken off.

My EV is plain Vanilla. No one can tell that it is Electric. Funny,
I am getting less irate drivers hugging my rear bumper anxious for
me to speed up. I guess if they do not see the "Electric" signage,
they must think I am a slow driving old coot out for a Sunday
drive.

But I am thinking of putting a couple "Electric" Emblems on my
Blazer EV. Then I won't feel like such a plain Jane.

ta

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor, RE & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Please email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] as im very interested in that Zilla1k, im assuming it comes with the Hairball

Cwarman

Derrick J Brashear wrote:

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Cwarman wrote:

Derrick, how much are you asking for your Zilla ?

It's brand new and unused or installed, $1950, I'll entertain other offers.

.

Medium Importance
- high visibility of user interface in most light conditions

Is your preference LEDs or LCD?
IF you want 2 (say, 7-segmet LED) displays,
do you mind to have digits smaller or you'd rather have
the face bigger?

I would say a LCD is far more flexible. It is nice to have the display have various different display modes. Different font sizes are helpful. It is nice to have a simple display for casual driving, but lots of details are great when you are testing things.

Do you want to keep it round or square (BRUSA style) is OK?
Do you think most people would install it into the
instrument cluster (so remote buttons needed) or into/onto
the dash?

How about with a removable case front where the unit can be dash mounted?

Anyone else?

Have the firmware upgradable. The once you have the hardware with the right features, you can still fix bugs later without having to ship them in for factory service. You may find a few programming geniuses that will add new features you never thought of (free added value). It also lets you support EV and PV needs with one unit.
As a rule-of-thumb, the Saft STM5-100s give you a kW per monoblock -
observing that the Peugeot 106/Citroen Saxo have 20 batts and 20kW (peak);
the Peugeot Partner/Citroen Berlingo have 27 batts and quote 27kW peak; and
the Renault Kangoo has 22 batts and 22kW peak, though with the range
extender genset running (if fitted) this peak is raised to 29kW.  They seem
to have chosen to keep the battery amps < 180A most of the time.

Philippe, the controllers wouldn't allow 200A over a long period though
surely?  Or would it only cut back if the motor/batt sensors start to
indicate high temperatures?

(I don't drive with the ECO in the red very often ;-)

Matt

> From: "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:24:35 +0200
> To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
> Subject: Re: Battery calculation, NiCad vs. LeadAcid
>
> Saft STM5-100 are rated by Saft for 200A CONSTANT and 500A (10sec)
> in 120V French electric car, battery amp allowed is 200A max (full throttle,
> red part of "eco-meter")
> I controled max bat amp with OEM diag console while driving.
>
> cordialement,
> Philippe
>
> Et si le pot d'échappement sortait au centre du volant ?
> quel carburant choisiriez-vous ?
> http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr
> Forum de discussion sur les véhicules électriques
> http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr/Forum/index.php

Thanks Gordon for feedback

Gordon Niessen wrote:

I would say a LCD is far more flexible. It is nice to have the display have various different display modes. Different font sizes are helpful. It is nice to have a simple display for casual driving, but lots of details are great when you are testing things.

LEDs will be first. The custom LCD (with units, icons,
analog bars and other things I want) will follow.

How about with a removable case front where the unit can be dash mounted?

I've settled on two separate units - only display is dash mounted.
The main controller is under dash somewhere - no need to be visible.
LED dash display unit is swappable for LCD one - so you plug in the
type you like the most. Connecting both semultaneously is technically
possible too, though don't know who'd do that :-)

The only instance I see it can be useful is if a passenger gets
a monitoring display too (other than driver).

Have the firmware upgradable.

Naturally, firmware is upgradable off flash card (SD card) or more
traditional way - via RS232 and bootloader for those who don't
want to use external memory.

Latest upgrades of course will be free downloadable off the web site-
this is the plan.

'91 ACRX - something different

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- So how are you building the shunt input stage? These are quite tricky to do with low offset errors and good accuracy.

Jeff, what's the exact model number on the DS-50?  For example,
DS50-20-S2-10, DS50-30-S2-10, DS50-40-S2-10.

Thanks.

[...]

Any motor *must* to be cooled, and thus if you discuss efficiencies,
you must view cooling hardware as part of the motor factoring in
energy spent for the cooling. If you do this, liquid cooled motor
will be ahead of the air cooled one by quite wide margin (provided,
same size and asked for the same power). Way oversized air cooled
motor which is thus stone cold no matter what does not count).

The water pump in my ACRX which cools off 30 kW rated motor
AND inverter AND charger is a size of my fist, weigh 200g
(less than half pound), totally silent
and consumes 400mA from 12V source. This allows
the motor to run continuously putting out 30kW.

Take a look how much ACP t-zero's blower consumes, not to
mention its weight, size and noise it creates. The power for the
blower comes from your traction battery, so you can't ignore it
discussing motors efficiency - you're not talking about
efficiency demonstrated on the bench or a dyno.

'91 ACRX - something different

With BRUSA cooperation, initially I'm using front end they
developed for their Ah counters. The challenges you describe
have been solved long ago and the accuracy is 1% as of now.

The conversion electronics sits right on top of the shunt itself.
Additional PCB massaging incoming data (MME design) sits next to
BRUSA conversion PCB.

Later if this option will continue to cost more than I'd like
(that depends on the production volume) I will develop replacement
for their front end.

Danny Miller wrote:
So how are you building the shunt input stage? These are quite tricky to do with low offset errors and good accuracy.

'91 ACRX - something different

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- There's one other type of display we're overlooking, the VFD (Vacuum Fluorescent Display). Those are bright blue on a very dark background. They're a relatively expensive alphanumberic display.

Now keep in mind "daylight readable" is not necessarily required depending on how it's installed. Many of the electronic displays and indicator lights on a commercial dash would not be visible if placed under direct sunlight as opposed to the shaded area inside the dash. Nor would nonreflective car stereo displays.

We could modify an LED belt buckle:
http://tinyurl.com/9r6q6
Just kidding.

The graphical display I've been using in my van outside in Texas summer is on a cord and kept in an overhead shelf above the driver's seat. I temp-comp'ed the LCD contrast and never had a problem. That van's insulated though and doesn't reach the temps of a sedan with much more glass.

Danny

Gordon Niessen wrote:

Medium Importance
- high visibility of user interface in most light conditions

Is your preference LEDs or LCD?
IF you want 2 (say, 7-segmet LED) displays,
do you mind to have digits smaller or you'd rather have
the face bigger?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Actually, a Nixie tube WOULD be pretty cool. They're retro and if it was going into something like a Karman Ghia conversion that would be so awesome.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixie_tube

May have vibration problems, either coming out of its socket if not damage to the electrodes. I think with proper attention to mounting concerns this issue can be accomodated.

How about a VFD display?  Pretty easy to read in dark and light both.