  1) How can I use a monster UPS?
        by "Tim Stephenson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Fuses
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: Contactor on all the time or controlled by the pot box?
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Contactor on all the time or controlled by the pot box?
        by "Philip Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Old race attage
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Slowing down. Was Re: no interest in racing
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) White Zombie - '74 Nova V8 Drag Car Comparison
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Battery Repair (was "Re: AGM battery mgmt system")
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: White Zombie - '74 Nova V8 Drag Car Comparison
        by Paul Wujek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) John Wayland wins The Rannberg Cup Award
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: No Interest in Electric Drag Racing?
 12) CORRECTION -  E-Chair Racing
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Some EV help
        by Chris Taylor Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Battery Repair (was "Re: AGM battery mgmt system")
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: 2 strings and an EMeter
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: White Zombie - '74 Nova V8 Drag Car Comparison
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Some EV help
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Old race attage
        by "Ray Brooks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: 300 MPH Quarter EV Technology
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Some EV help
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Some EV help
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: IOTA
Six years ago I acquired an Uninerruptable Power Supply unit suitable for
the computer room:. It probably weighs 400 lbs, and occupies about 4 or 5 cu
ft. in volume. Inside are a *very* large numher of 4 amp-hour sealed grey
batteries, so it looks like it runs 120 or 240 vDC, and I'm sure it puts out
a clean 60 cycle 120 and 240 VAC. The electronics are daunting (many cards)
and the transformers very impressive. I've been afraid to mess with it, and
now the batteries are probably junk. It has also been out in the weather lo
these many years.

Can anyone think of a good use for this unit? Anyone with a real need for a
UPS unit shouldn't touch it, it won't do for powering a drive motor, it
MIGHT be useful for pack-to-110AC, so I can run my computer while driving
(hmm.) or to plug in a 12 volt power supply to get headights. Sounds goofy
to me, but it kills me to have all of this gear and not use it.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Tim

Hello Rush,

Shrink back means that the lead post of the battery will melt just a little
bit, where the torque of the battery connection is less.

For example, when I install new batteries, I torque the clamp around brass type
battery connector to 65-75 inch lbs.  See the specs. of the torque rated of
your battery connectors.

Then drive the car for five miles and check the torque again. You will find it
will loss about 5 inch lbs on the first go around.

Also you could do some Specific Gravity checks or check some batteries in the
group to see what voltage drop you get for the five miles.

Torque the connections again and repeat the five mile test again.  Do this
until  there is very little shrink back of 1 or 2 inch lbs.

If you battery specs. give a range of lets say 65 to 75 inch lbs, go with the
75 inch lbs, so you will have a 10 inch lbs range before you will have to
re-torque again.

On a new set of batteries, I will than check the connection torque about once a
month for about 6 months.  After that if they stabilized, than I do it every 6
months, which I do a major battery maintenance of specific gravity checks,
connections check, watering and cleaning.

When a person is shopping for new batteries, take your volt meter, load meter,
a brass battery connector and torque wrench with you.  If you are going to put
out a bid for a group of batteries, they should measure up to the
specifications that are noted.

I found in one case, that the top stud type of battery, the studs started to
pull out which did not reach the maximum torque value that was stated.  I don't
used the stud type anymore, except on my old Exide batteries where the lead
post are very hard.

Also if you going to purchase in store batteries and not a new fresh shipment,
look at the DATE CODE that is stamp on the battery post pad or next to it.  If
its reading something like F 4, that means June of 2004, way too old, and never
had maintainers on them, do not purchase them.

I did purchase instore batteries one time, and they only lasted less than 1
second.  Several of them blew up when I just press the acceleration a bit.  I
than found out that these batteries were setting in some warehouse for over 9
months.

By pass the dealer, and call the battery factory directly and they ship me
replacement pack with fresh batteries that were not over 2 weeks old.

My car is somewhat of a show car where it's is taken to car shows and they did
not want that type of publicity.

From: "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
ntrolled by the pot box?
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 07:28:50 -0600

The first thought that comes to my mind, Lawrence, is that the contactor
draws around 2Amps when closed, so having it on all the time would be
wasting a little power when the pedal wasn't pressed.  Not sure how much of
a Con that is.

The current draw depends on the contactor you use. I'm using the Czonka III ( with a relatively low current pack of 8vgc floodeds) so the contactor current draw is only about 150 ma. In that case, it's not much of a con.

Phil

Is it better to have the contactor on all the time or have it kick in every
time you put the foot to the pedal. My Electravan kicks in the contactor
every time you touch the pedal.  I wired the Aspire to have the contactor
come on when the 12v system was powered up through the normal Ignition key.
Pro's and Con's?
Lawrence Rhodes
Bassoon/Contrabassoon
Reedmaker
Book 4/5 doubler
Electric Vehicle & Solar Power Advocate
415-821-3519

The question use to be

 How fast do you want to go?

And the answer used to be

 How much money do you have?

While true with EV dragsters and ICE alike we can change the question a
little when we are not racing.

  How far do you want to go?

   same answer

 How much money do you have :-(

The same effiency that gets you another tenth on the track will get the
same vehicle another mile of range.

John,otmar,Tim,Rod,rich, Keep up the good work and thanks for carrying
the torch  for the rest of us.

I used to race and I love watching races. My second EV is planned for
autocrossing. ( lithium-ion,integrated BLDCmotor-transaxle with dog
clutched straight cut gears, No right angle gears and paddle shifting)

I thing suggesting slowing down traffic is not practical or desireable.
Now let me explain

Here in fresno, like many towns,there is a commute.  Ok so ours is like
10 miles from one end of town to the other but it surprises me how bad
that traffic can get. I took one day off work to run errands (find parts
for EV) and was out and about during both commute times. I saw 8
accidents and I avoided the freeway.

A road is like a circuit with current flowing in it, and voltage is the
speed. In this town too much of the traffic tries to get off at one exit
and it backs up becuase the exits are too slow. "too much resistance"

slowing down the speed would mean less cars per second and an earlier
onset of problems.

What is really needed is to re-think our city layouts and reduce the
actual need to commute but that vears off topic.

Besides the image that "EV's are slow and hince unsafe" or "not fit to
be on the road", that we want dispell, we just can't take a step back in
time to a time when towns were smaller, The larger the town the faster
traffic must move or it backs up.

It would be nice if the city was smart enough to make 4 roads 2
north/south and two east/west and just dedicate them to traffic 25 and
under.  Heck, they could put the grade schools on these streets instead
of the main streets for our kids. They could split one of the two normal
lanes into 2 smaller lanes for bikes,motor bikes, and NEV's.

It is a shame so much effort went into a almost cross town walk/bike
path but if you ride your bike over 8mph they ask you to get off, and
they placed pipes at every intersection you have to avoid and ramps
that arn't lined up with the path.

Bikes (human powered)  for commuting  flow better with cars  than in
same  lane as meandering pedestrians  who just love to walk 4 abreast.

As I vear off topic, sorry, but my point is while we can't change the
burorcracy, for now, we must fit  in.

I had an interesting conversation today with one of those folks that Tom Shay says isn't interested in electric drag racing. He was just one of my many customers on my forklift service route, an average guy working in a warehouse. In the past we've had a few short conversations about my electric car addiction, and he's always been 'interested' but not over enthusiastic...until today, that is. I had told him the results of our weekend's racing efforts, and reported that the car had run a mid 12....his eyes got big. He then asked, "What was your 1/8th mile like?" I told him our best 1/8 mile portion was a 7.917 @ 85 some-odd mph, and also told him one run had us approaching 87 mph (86.57) in the 1/8 mile....his eyes got a bit larger. That's when he surprised me when he told me that he too, was a drag racer. That's also when he gave me some very interesting info on his '74 Chevy Nova drag car. He went on to tell me that his 'thing' was 1/8 mile drags, not the usual full 1/4 mile as is mine, and he said he'd tuned his machine to haul ass especially in the 1/8 mile....his best time ever, was a 7.92.

Here's a short list of his muscle car's specs:

383 cid 'stroker' Chevy V8
Edelbrock Torquer intake
Edelbrock 650 cfm 4 barrel carb
Headers, big cam, and exhaust
2500 rpm stall converter
B&M 3 stage shift kit
Mickey Thompson wrinkle wall drag slicks

Food for thought.....White Zombie does almost exactly the same time with its 7.917 vs the Nova's 7.920, but does so running with street legal drag radials against the Nova fitted with the real deal, full race wrinkle wall drag slicks. Contrary to what Tom says, "... electric cars are slugs compared to ICE drag racers."....this guy who had built up a fast Nova, was absolutely blown away with what my electric car had done. He plans on bringing a group of his friends down to PIR next Friday night to watch us run against the gasser boys.

From Rod Hower:

John and Jim Husted have engineered
their own electric drive system to crank out 12.65 1/4
mile times.  That is impressive and very unique, and
the fans at the drag track recognize this vehicle....You may call 12.65
in the 1/4 boring, but the engineering and time to
create such a unique vehicle is much more impressive
than a 9 second alcohol dragster that can be created
with off the shelf parts.

Thanks Rod, I appreciate this. My friend Gene, who I met in the Fall of '03 at the track and who has the low 11 second Nova I've written about from time to time, feels the same way as you do. He gets it. We saw him a few weekends ago when we raced the Silver Bullet Z Car, and as usuual, it was great getting to talk with him again. Gene doesn't know about our recent mid 12 second run or our sub 8 second 1/8 mile times, but I'll bet that once he finds out, he'll be running around telling everyone about it. Here's guy with a far quicker car than mine, yet because it's the unexpected.... 'an electric car'... that performs way outside the perceived norm, it's super cool.

Change of subject.....I just got off the phone with Tim Brehm, and he had me freeze the launch segment of the 104 mph run I've got posted at:

http://plasmaboyracing.com

Folowing the burnout and just before the car takes off, if you pause the movie, then step the launch s-l-o-w-l-y frame by frame, you can see two very telling things....one, is the way the drag radials wrinkle pretty severely at the point of first bite. These aren't wrinkle wall tires, so I was a bit surprised to see them do this... and two, the way the rear axle winds up on the leaf springs to where there's too much fore and aft movement of the entire rear axle to my liking. I'd already planned on lengthening the traction bars to make their ends match up farther ahead right at the leaf spring pivot instead of their present contact point that's about 3 inches behind the pivot (that allow too much spring wind up). Now, after watching the crazy axle travel, I 'have' to make this mod! Additionally, Tim and I both experienced the front spings dropping away from their normal tucked-in postion with the front strut cups due to the way the front end pops up so far....we'll be fixing this problem, too. The rear end traction bar mods and front end spring control mods will go a long ways towards helping the car get out of the hole even better, and might be good for another 1/10 - 2/10 of second off that mid 12 ET, perhaps putting the car in the 12.3 second range? With better traction, we can turn up the Zilla a bit more in the series mode and maybe shave off another 2/10 -3/10 getting the car awfully close to the high 11s!

Interesting stat from Sunday's racing....With the exception of the very first run Tim had ever made down a 1/4 mile track, White Zombie was 5 for 6 at going 100 mph and more in the 1/4 mile. It's also fun to note that Tim just 'had' to make a statement with his perfect 100.00 mph that put him into the 100 mph club! In chronological order of the day:

96.47, 100.00, 102.43, 103.53, 103.92, 104.14

It's interesting to watch the speed go up as the batteries both warm up and get better broken in. After struggling to crack 100 mph in the quarter mile last year, 100+ speeds are now the norm for the car, so I guess we've made some progress :-)

Stay tuned for this coming Wednesday's 1/8 mile runs, and for the following Friday's drag racing results (weather permitting)...

See Ya.....John 'Plasma Boy' Wayland
'We blow things up, so you don't have to'
http://plasmaboyracing.com

I rather have 2 volt cells, or it more correct to call them jars when each 2
volt section is it's only separate case. If you go to the Exide Tudor type
batteries WEB site to see what they look like, of which I used at once time
which are 18 inches high and 3 by 6 inches.

They are connected together with very heavy lead links that are welded on with
battery lead sticks and a torch with a long thin flame point.

To remove the this links, you hole saw them using a hole saw with all the teeth
removed and grinding in two large teeth into the saw blade.  The lead is then
shave off.

This leaves a post stub on the jar top.  The tops are caulk in with butyl tape,
the same type for setting in your vehicle glass.  Then I put a skim coat of
black Lexon caulking to smooth it up.

Once you cut out this seal, you pull out the plates and quickly put them into a
container of distill water. Check the specific gravity of the acid.  If it
reads 1.250 than you only put 1.250 back in.

While the plates are suspended in the distill water.  I vibrate the this
container with a small motor that has a offset weight on a pulley.  This cleans
all the particles between the plates while measuring the voltage of the this
jar.

If the voltage is at 0 then there is a short between a seperator. To find this
short, I than slide in porous plastic seperator as I removed one.  Continue to
do this until the short disappears.

Install the plates back into the jar and install the jar into the cell of the
battery pack.  Weld on the link back on and you are ready to go.

These 300 to 450 AH Exide Tudor Type  2 volt batteries are about $100.00
factory cost  back in 1980.  So it was more cost effective to do the
maintenance of these type of battery packs.