        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: World Solar Challenge
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Another NEDRA rule question
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Financing a conversion?
        by Alan Batie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: World Solar Challenge
        by "Nick 'Sharkey' Moore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Sydney EV meeting
        by "Mark Fowler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Capacitor Drag Racing Idea
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: battery explosion
        by "ohnojoe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Vintage parts info wanted
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: S/P motor, was: RE: White Zombie...
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Use of Photovoltaics for EVs
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Wanted - information on DC motor
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 15) Wanted - EV Book
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 16) And Finally - Wanted GE EV-1B Control Card 5H9 or 6H9
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 17) Re: Use of Photovoltaics for EVs
        by Meta Bus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Solar Trailer?
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC (CVN75 IM3)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: building from scratch
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC (CVN75 IM3)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Siemens EV Motors
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC (CVN75 IM3)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: Solar Trailer?
        by "Robert Chew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: World Solar Challenge......, question.
 23) Re: Advice on getting motorcycle glider for an EV
        by mreish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) RE: Wanted - information on DC motor
        by "Robert Chew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Brent and Kent (Savethesaltflats@ aol.com, and
<http://www.savethesaltflats.com>) want to do solar electric racing
on the Salt Flats. Solar panels could also go on the underside of the
car and catch reflected light.

A twist on the idea I had: Allow the solar panels to also be used as
sails.

I have done the math, and it would be tough to power a practical car
with solar panels. Boats, however, seem a perfect niche for solar
panels. Many are operated on waterways with a 5 or 10 mph speed
limit.  Make a big solar array that doubles as a sail and you could
really go.

<http://www.lightupthenet.com/2005/04/solar_powered_s.html>

--- Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> That said, I'm a bit worried that the solar racers focus too much
> on
> "racing" and not enough on "solar". Too much competition and focus
> on
> winning -- no matter what it costs. And too little innovation and
> experimentation. The cars are basically the same; same solar cells,
> same
> motors, same controllers, same batteries, same tires. Nearly all
> the
> teams just buy these parts; they didn't design or build them. There
> isn't much innovation going on.

Yahoo! for Good

Ok gang; here's another capacitor idea.

The field of a series motor takes relatively little power -- like 1% of
the total. Yet it has a big influence on the torque-speed curve of the
motor.

Normally, the field is directly in series with the armature, so both
*must* have the same current. This produces the standard series motor
characteristics we all know and love/hate; very high starting torque,
but torque falls off very fast as speed increases.

Field weakening has long been used to alter a series motor's
characteristics. Shunt some of the current away with a resistor, and you
weaken the field; the motor produces less torque per amp but runs
faster.

But what if you connected a CAPACITOR in parallel with the field?
Because it's a low-voltage high-current winding, the capacitor would
also have to be a low-voltage high-current part -- ideally suited to a
supercapacitor.

Let's assume a contactor controller, or PWM controller with a separate
inductor so it's not depending on the field inductance.

At any constant speed, motor performance is unchanged. The capacitor
simply sits at whatever the voltage is across the series field.

Now suppose you "step on the throttle" to double the voltage being
applied to the motor. A normal series motor behaves like a resistor; 2x
the voltage makes it draw 2x the current. You're now putting 4x the
power into the motor; and so making 4x the horsepower. The rpm won't
change instantly, so the torque goes up 4x.

With that capacitor across the field, the field voltage and thus field
current won't change. The fixed field current makes it behave like a PM
motor; the armature voltage doubles, and the armature current will go up
by a *large* amount! The motor draws all the current it can get trying
to instantly accellerate to the new rpm demanded by the new voltage and
field current. In other words, you get STRONGER accelleration!

Something even more interesting will happen when you reduce the
accellerator pedal. Suppose you've been driving at a constant high speed
long enough so the capacitor voltage has had time to stabilize. Now you
release the accellerator to cut the motor voltage in half. As above, the
instantaneous field current will not change because of the capacitor
across it. With a fixed field current, it again behaves like a PM motor;
the armature voltage tries to stay the same. So the armature current
will reverse -- the motor becomes a generator! If you have a contactor
controller, it can pass current in either direction, so you get
regenerative braking as the generated current flows back into the
battery. If you have a PWM controller, it will block the reverse current
unless its freewheel diode is also a transistor.

This PM-like behaviour will only last for a short time -- roughly the RC
time constant of the supercapacitor and the field winding's resistance.
For instance, with a 2700 farad capacitor and 0.01 ohm field, it lasts
2700 x0.01 = 27 seconds.
--
"One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the
shore for a very long time."        -- Andre Gide

Hump wrote:

Is John's Siamese 8 one motor or two?

I say it's one motor.

Roderick Wilde wrote:

Hi Hump,

This is only my opinion, the final decision would come from our tech director but I would feel that since it is on a single armature shaft and there is no coupling I would personally call it a single custom made motor with two commutators.

Roderick Wilde

I too, consider it one motor, since the housing is bolted together as one piece with a custom machined center section and it's been modified to the extent to where the separated pieces can't be used as two separate motor housings anymore (one section is different than the other). It also has, as Rod points out, a single custom designed and machined stainless steel armature shaft that both armatures are pressed onto. It has one output shaft, no couplers of any kind, and one fan that cools the entire assembly. For what it's worth, I call it a 'dual armature motor' which is very close to Rod's 'single custom made motor with two commutators'. I also list it as a single motor in all my writings and posts.

I would happily accept any redefinition NEDRA comes up with in regards to rules and or regs governing such things. It's actually cooler to say the car has two motors, especially when talking tech stuff with the gas dudes at the track (two motors sounds more macho than one motor to these guys), but I don't think that's an accurate description anymore.

See Ya....John 'Plasma Boy' Wayland

Sharks-
yeah, let's see:
1) money---there are folks on this list who justify spending on amazing
things, including ultracaps and experimental batteries.  The limiting factor
with solar on a car is the surface area---with 11% efficient solar cell
technology, you're looking at about $4/watt and about 10watts/sqft, so back
to my example: why are so few EVers interested in showing their EVness by
spending $4/watt * 10w/sqft, or $40/sqft to cover the average 20-30sqft or
so of hard top coupe roofline with a custom, aerodynamic 200-300w integrated
solar array?  That's about a $1k investment, or about what it costs for
floodede batteries in a low cost conversion.  Surely this can't be about
money when some are justifying $5-10k+ for batteries in some cases.

2) weight---solar racers with their integrated custom arrays are not heavy.
Their arrays generate a killowatt.  One guy could lift the array.  Solar
cells are extremely light---and extremely fragile.  There's the rub.
Commercial panels are heavy due to the non-exotic heavy substrate to keep
the cells from bending and the glass and aluminum framing.  Solar car arrays
are typically composed of a rigid, but light backing structure, a thermally
conductive bonding compound (silicone derivatives are typical), the cells
and interconnects, and an encapsulation layer.  They're not as rugged or
necessarily flat as commercial arrays, but neither are they then confined to
flat surfaces, in fact, in solar cars these arrays are integrated into not
only very curved surfaces, but arguably add very little to aerodynamic
drag---something someone already mentioned here as a downside.  Again, don't
think of commercial arrays---think lots of cells, individually mounted and
embedded into a substrate and the entire array sealed.  It ain't easy, but
college kids are doing this.  Surely seasoned EVers can handle it.

> On 2005-09-26, Myles Twete wrote:
> > Probably not, but I ask this: why are so few EVers at all
> interested in integrating solar arrays into the bodies, or at least the
> roof, of their car conversions?
>
> Because the money and weight would be better spent on batteries.
>
> -----sharks

I would call it a 'twin com' as a spoof or parallel of the 'twin cam' that
is posted on the sides or trunk of some ICE cars.

Joe Smalley
Rural Kitsap County WA
Fiesta 48 volts
NEDRA 48 volt street conversion record holder

>   This is only my opinion, the final decision would come from our tech
> director but I would feel that since it is on a single armature shaft and
> there is no coupling I would personally call it a single custom made motor
> with two commutators.
>
> Roderick Wilde

Not
> > that I'm thinking of needing more than one, but it's nice to know.
> >

> > Stay Charged!
> > Hump
> >

> > --
9/26/2005

Neon John wrote:

If I might make an ever-so-humble suggestion, forget the debt.  Save
your money and when you have enough, pay cash.

Maybe they'll finance a Tango --- the VIN'll match ;-)

Yeah, I can probably come up with alternative means, it's just more work, pain and time consuming...

On 2005-09-27, Myles Twete wrote:

> 1) money---there are folks on this list who justify spending on amazing
> things, including ultracaps and experimental batteries.

That's not my point.  I'm not suggesting that people shouldn't or
won't spend their money, just that it's unlikely that they'll get
more range by spending it on solar panels than they would by spending
it on more/better batteries.

Plucking some numbers out of a local supplier of solar and EV kit:

BP Solar Panels (assuming 5h peak insolation) :
        AU$700 / (80W * 5h) = AU$1.75 / Wh

Gel-Tech Batteries (assuming 40% DoD):
        AU$300 / (12V * 80Ah * .4) = AU$0.78 / Wh
        + recharging them at AU$0.00013 / Wh.

So, even on the sunniest of imaginable days, the batteries
are going to be a better use of your money.

I'll grant you that the solar cells are lighter per Wh though,
so if you live in Death Valley and commute at noon in an
ultralight vehicle ...

> why are so few EVers interested in showing their EVness [...]

Well, that's part of it.  I honestly don't give a rats about
"showing my EVness".  Zooming silently past the petrol station
is enough for me ...

-----sharks

Woo Hoo!

I'm there, EV and all.